Author
doubleofive
Parent topic
Guardians of the Galaxy discussion thread
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/732481/action/topic#732481
Date created
21-Oct-2014, 1:37 PM

There's another trailer that used "Spirit In The Sky".

Alright, I've put this off long enough, I have a theory that I want to share, if I don't push it out now, I never will:

------------------

Is it possible this mix created for Peter Quill by his mother is more than just a collection of her favorite songs, but the story of her and his mysterious father?

The song that really jumped out to me was David Bowie’s "Moonage Daydream”, his tale of Ziggy Stardust, the rock and roll savior of the world who at least communicates with aliens, if not falls in love with one according to the lyrics:

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space face close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

The rest of the mix seems to tell a story of falling in love, out of love, back in love, and wanting to reunite. Peter's mom was a teenage rebel ("Cherry Bomb")At first, she believes that Peter’s father is in love with her (“Hooked on a Feeling”), which he denies (“I’m Not in Love”). Eventually, she persuades him (“Go All The Way”), and they start their relationship (“Come And Get Your Love”). The father, who’s literally been around the galaxy, has to admit that she does mean something to him ("Fooled Around and Fell in Love”), but he fears that they don’t have enough in common ("Escape (The Piña Colada Song)”). He leaves her, but she remains convinced that he’ll come back ("Ain't No Mountain High Enough”). "O-o-h Child” is a straight-forward message to her son that, no matter what, things will get better.

The movie ends with the first song from “Vol. 2”, The Jackson 5’s "I Want You Back”, which to me signifies Peter's mom no longer being content with waiting for his father to come back, perhaps encouraging Peter to look for him.

------------------

If I wasn't an idiot, I would have realized that the DragonCon panel with James Gunn would be a Q&A session and I could have actually asked him this question, but by the time I got in line there were way too many people. People did ask about the soundtrack, and he said that the songs were "baked into the script".