logo Sign In

GOUT, Automated Theatrical Colouring, and a Reference Guide — Page 10

Author
Time

I can't help but notice he didn't say anymore about the print/source that shot came from. Why is it that this kind of high quality source always seems to fall into the hands of those who dont want to share it with the community at large? :(

Ignorance is bliss, IMO if someone has access to such a high quality print/source and is planning to do a restoration but has no plans of releasing it to the community then they should keep it to themselves rather then rubbing salt in the wound!

Original Trilogy in Replica Technicolor Project
Star Wars PAL LaserDisc Project

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nice work, zombie84! The colors seem so vibrant and realistic. People don't look all sickly anymore. Star Wars finally seems like it's in technicolor.

Also, I just looked at the link you posted Dunedain.That shot of an unrestored crawl looks amazing! I've never found this site before. It looks quite fascinating. What exactly is the Star Wars: Legacy Edition? Is it a restoration of the original version of Star Wars? He says that the standard definition restoration has been completed long ago. Does this mean he has access to a DVD quality restored Star Wars? What is Mike using to gain such high quality images? Is he using film? Will he release them? Sorry for asking so many questions but his project looks simply fascinating, especially if he's using an original film source...

Author
Time

He's a professional in this field, and apparently he has access to a fantastic source. He's mainly restoring the original Star Wars trilogy, but I think he's also making a few very subtle adjustments here and there to stabilize ship movement in some of the space combat and so on. But it's 99% straight restoration/preservation. And he has the skills to do it.

LeeThorogood: I don't think "want" has anything to do with it, he's simply worried about getting in trouble if he made it publicly available. If he could, I'm sure he'd be happy to. He's a big Star Wars fan. :)

zombie, how do you like those starfields in that shot?! :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time

Dunedain said:

He's a professional in this field, and apparently he has access to a fantastic source. He's mainly restoring the original Star Wars trilogy, but I think he's also making a few very subtle adjustments here and there to stabilize ship movement in some of the space combat and so on. But it's 99% straight restoration/preservation. And he has the skills to do it.

The print looks awesome. I can't believe he's messing with it, though!

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Dunedain said:

he's simply worried about getting in trouble if he made it publicly available. If he could, I'm sure he'd be happy to.

Too bad.... it sounds like how the Editdroid set was originally not publicly available, though I don't think that this will leak out like that did...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Dunedain said:

Oh wow, look at what Mike seems to have access to.

http://www.starwarslegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33

What wonders of restoration could be done if the tech guys here had access to a source like that... :)

Is that a motherfucking 4K scan of the 1977 crawl?!

Wwha....huh...

:O

And THAT'S unrestored?!

Oh my dear God ... I must go change my pants, now...

Author
Time

Dunedain said:

What wonders of restoration could be done if the tech guys here had access to a source like that... :)

Personally, I think he does a great job all by himself @_@

Nice to find his site again, I remember reading it many years back and enjoying it immensely.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Has there ever been a reason discussed why we don't see mverta around here anymore? I've seen some of his posts, and they were often well-thought out. I sure hope he actually releases whatever he's got up his sleeve this time...

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

@ zombie84, I have been doing some reading on your site, very informative, I also read that you said the 2004 DVD's color is better than the 2006 GOUT, which I 100% agree, but that is the SE, so are you saying that the 2004 SE DVD's look better than the 2006 SE DVD's or are they the same? I just looked through my retail collection and saw that I have the 04 and 06 SE's, but I have to admit, I have watched neither LOL, so I was just curious if there was a difference between the 2 SE's, I assumed that the 04 DVD was just packaged with the GOUT bonus DVD and that is it.

Thanks for your time

Author
Time
 (Edited)

On a seperate note, has anyone actually verified that the Youtube user rafiguroian, who posted a recording of the beginning of the Senator Theater Star Wars showing, just has the beginning and not the whole thing? Forgive me if this is common knowledge or if one of you is rafiguroian. I sent him a message but he never responded. If he had more of the performance, it would make a great source for seeing accurate colors.

EDIT: Dark Jedi, I own both sets. I don't think there was a difference in color between the 2004SE DVD release and the 2006SE DVD release. I believe it's the same disc.

Author
Time

Asaki: I mean a restoration that we can actually watch at home. ;)

The Aluminum Falcon: It is the same disk in the 2004 SE set and the 2006 original trilogy DVD box set.

ChainsawAsh: Incredible, isn't it?! :)

Author
Time

Yeah, the 2004 SE and 2006 SE DVDs are identical, with the possible exception of the art on the disc (not sure as I no longer own either).

Author
Time

Mike Verta is very private about everything he does. I doubt his work will ever see the light of day. The projects here that tried to coordinate with him suddenly went silent. 

"The standard definition restoration of Star Wars was indeed completed, long ago. I just never got around to updating the site." Thanks! So you have possibly the holy grail of Star Wars preservations, but it slipped your mind to mention it? I don't know Mike personally, but this is pretty insensitive.

The fact that he has the DVD version completed, but is sitting on it, is more depressing than if he'd never done it in the first place.

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

People interested in this topic can check out an improved version of my initial page here, with a lot of extra-GOUT source comparisons.

http://www.savestarwars.com/goutcorrect.html

You need to know that the screen-caps of Moth3r's widescreen bootleg you have in that article is not the actual source that was recently posted on usenet, what you have there is the regular color corrected xvid by Moth3r, the source look vastly different.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

Really? Hmm, I didn't know that. Do you have any caps from the source?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

http://fd.noneinc.com/Theater_Performance/1977-PreANH-WS-BOOTLEG1/1977-PreANH-WS-BOOTLEG1-VTS_01_2-67.jpg
Not the best source when untouched. Skin tones are often almost purple.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

That might make a bit of sense, since it usually deviates the most from Catnap and Puggo:

Author
Time

You can see screen-caps of it on the bootleg comparison page, none created in his Theater Performance thread.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

Wait the 35mm is Moth3r's widescreen bootleg, correct? Anyway, I think the 35mm and Puggo's look pretty close, while the Catnap had a whole new blue (?) tint to it. That's just what it looks to my eyes.

Author
Time

Erikstormtrooper said:

"The standard definition restoration of Star Wars was indeed completed, long ago. I just never got around to updating the site." Thanks! So you have possibly the holy grail of Star Wars preservations, but it slipped your mind to mention it?

As far as I'm aware, the restoration he's talking about just fixes all of the more glaring (fixable) errors in the 2004 SE (color timing, visible mattes, blaster/saber colors, etc). It would be useful for other projects (or to people who actually like the SE), but I wouldn't exactly call it a "holy grail".

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though. But if I'm not, I'm pretty sure he said he never intended to actually release the project, that he would only give resources for others to do it themselves.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Erikstormtrooper said:

Mike Verta is very private about everything he does. I doubt his work will ever see the light of day. The projects here that tried to coordinate with him suddenly went silent. 

"The standard definition restoration of Star Wars was indeed completed, long ago. I just never got around to updating the site." Thanks! So you have possibly the holy grail of Star Wars preservations, but it slipped your mind to mention it? I don't know Mike personally, but this is pretty insensitive.

The fact that he has the DVD version completed, but is sitting on it, is more depressing than if he'd never done it in the first place.
This is exactly the feeling/sentiment I was trying to convey earlier although Erikstromtrooper did a better job of putting it into words then I did!

Original Trilogy in Replica Technicolor Project
Star Wars PAL LaserDisc Project

Author
Time

Yes, he's restoring various things, but he may not have used the SE as his source, I think he had a better source. His goal is a restoration without the SE changes, if I recall correctly. And his new source, well, it looks just awesome...

And yes, he never said he would publicly release it when he was done, because of the trouble it would cause. But has released methods in the past. The problem is that we don't have access to the kind of sources he does (and that's an understatement). :)

Author
Time

Erikstormtrooper said:

If indeed he "really" has a completed DVD, until we see it, I have my own opinion of not believing it.