logo Sign In

Episode II: Shroud of the Dark Side (the TM edit) (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

First of all, I know I’m going to be editing the prequels for my personal enjoyment. I’m not yet sure how extensive it’s going to be. However, I’ve had an idea for a while and want to know what you think of it.

Good idea or too ambitious? I want to dub Anakin’s voice in a few scenes in Episodes II to experiment with alternate lines of dialogue, a more serious quality, and a lower voice that would fit Darth Vader better. If it works out, I’m thinking of completing re-dubbing Anakin in Episode II and Episode III , rebuilding the sound mix from scratch.

Before you ask, I do indeed have the technological capability of doing that. My only problems would be some assorted sound effects (I can create my own), and unreleased music (I guess I’d have to replace it with available music). MagnoliaFan did something similar with the alien languages.

Good idea? I think if it was done right, it could make the films a lot better. Think of how much better the romance scenes could be with better dialogue. I could even change Anakin’s dialogue aboard the spaceship so as to avoid the awful droid factory subplot! It would take really good acting, but my question is whether you think it would be worth it to redo both movies, and also your suggestions on what of Anakin’s dialogue I could change, or anything about the character that you think could be changed by better voice acting or alternate dialogue. Even if I don’t have the time or energy to pull this off, it’d still be fun to talk about. However there’s a high possilbility that I might try this, being the crazy Star Wars fanatic that I am.

Your input, please?

Episode II: Shroud of the Dark Side

Emperor Jar-Jar
“Back when we made Star Wars, we just couldn’t make Palpatine as evil as we intended. Now, thanks to the miracles of technology, it is finally possible. Finally, I’ve created the movies that I originally imagined.” -George Lucas on the 2007 Extra Extra Special HD-DVD Edition

Author
Time
I'd rather dub over the prequels in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 way.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Any dubbing of the prequels, be it serious or MST3K styled, would be a vast improvement over the original dialogue.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
I know. But I'm not joking! I seriously have the technology to pull this off and possibly make the prequels a lot better then they are now.

Like MagnoliaFan's subtitles, only a lot better. Perhaps if I decide to do this, I can create an alternate audio track for Episode II (and someday Episode III) that could be synched with the actual unedited film. only with Anakin's voice dubbed (and improved when possible, during long shots or when his back is turned to the camera). I could post it on the web as a torrent when I'm done, perhaps.

If I could, I would digitally erase Hayden's ponytail, too!

Emperor Jar-Jar
“Back when we made Star Wars, we just couldn’t make Palpatine as evil as we intended. Now, thanks to the miracles of technology, it is finally possible. Finally, I’ve created the movies that I originally imagined.” -George Lucas on the 2007 Extra Extra Special HD-DVD Edition

Author
Time
Originally posted by: ricarleite

I'd love that!

Author
Time
What is that? I've heard about it a lot, and saw it a few times on SciFi, but it just seemed to be some old asian terrible dubbed disaster film.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Warbler

I'd love that!

ANAKIN: I don't like sand. It's irritating and gets everywhere.
CROW: Well look who's talking.

ANAKIN: Are you an angel?
PADME: A what?
ANAKIN: An angel...
JOEL: (as padme) I've heard that one before, mister, and you're not getting into my pants.

GUNRAY: She can't do that! Shoot her or something!
DOOKU: Don't worry, she will die.
JOEL/CROW/SERVO: Yaaaay!

<Palpatine making a speach about loving the republic>
JOEL: Ok this is the part where George Lucas was writing the script, and he just raised his hands up in the air and screamed "I just don't know!"
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Any and all edits of the prequels are welcome in my book. I'd like to see what you come up with.

BTW, what kind of "technology" do you have?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Darth Chaltab
What is that? I've heard about it a lot, and saw it a few times on SciFi, but it just seemed to be some old asian terrible dubbed disaster film.

It's the only TV show worth watching. Or should I say, was...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094517/

Joel Robinson (later Mike Nelson), and the bots Crow and Servo are trapped in a spaceship orbiting the Earth. Dr. Forrester and TV Frank (later Pearl) show them bad, bad movies to make them go insane. They talk during the films, making hilarious comments thru it.
Author
Time
it would most definitely be an improvement!
Author
Time
Better yet, let's get Tartakovsky to animate new versions of the prequels in the same style as Clone Wars. Whaddya think?

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Tartakovksy, would be good. So would Toei or, if I take Ric's word, Gainax.

Azuca!!!

Author
Time
..sooo, we're going to have lip-flap and words that don't match the main characters mouth now? Throughout the entire movie?

No. Dialogue will only be changed during long shots, back shots, and other shots where you can't see the mouth moving.

I sense an air of skepticism here; you probably won't believe this until you see it. Everyone else I talked to about it laughed at me (including my relatives), so I don't know why I expected this to be different.

As for an actor, Chaltab, you're in the right age bracket, aren't you? Five grand to fly over here and do Anakin's voice

Just kidding.

And I won't chat about this any more until I have some actual stuff available for download. Just wanted to let you know what I was doing.

Emperor Jar-Jar

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Trooperman
..sooo, we're going to have lip-flap and words that don't match the main characters mouth now? Throughout the entire movie?

As for an actor, Chaltab, you're in the right age bracket, aren't you? Five grand to fly over here and do Anakin's voice

Just kidding.

I'm not old enough anyway. Plus I can't act worth crap without being campy.

Author
Time

Azuca!!!

Uh, it's "Asuka". Asuka Langley.

GAINAX doing a Star Wars-related anime?! That would be AWESOME!!!
Author
Time

Azuca!!!

Uh, it's "Asuka". Asuka Langley.

GAINAX doing a Star Wars-related anime?! That would be AWESOME!!!

See what I mean?

Anyway, I was reffering to the Spanish word for sugar [azucar]
At the end of the song Guajira Guantanamera everybody screams "azuca"...

Author
Time
Really? It's not "tequila!"? There's this song they yell "TEQUILA" at the end...
Author
Time
[Scene on space ship between Anakin/Annie and Padme/Paddy]

ANAKIN: "Padme, I long for you."
PADME: "You what?"
ANAKIN: "I long for you."
PADME: "You *what* for me?"
ANAKIN: "I LONG for you."
PADME: "You LONG for ME?"
ANAKIN: "Indeed, I do long for you."
PADME: "Do you really long for me?"
ANAKIN: "You know I long for you, girl. I've been longing for you for a long time."
PADME: "How long exactly have you been longing for me?"
ANAKIN: "10 years, baby. 10 LONG years. Longer than any man should long for a woman."
PADME: "That is indeed a long time to be longing for someone. I can't believe you've been longing for me all that time."
ANAKIN: "It hasn't been easy longing for you after 10 years, Paddy. I've been longing for you for so long that it's become uncomfortable, but I would long it again and then some for you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm longing more than ever."
PADME: "That is some major longing on your part, Annie."

Author
Time
Really? It's not "tequila!"? There's this song they yell "TEQUILA" at the end...

Maybe that is the way it is in the original. The version we sing in my Spanish class might be censored.

Author
Time
*angry glare*

What's with the *angry glare*?

Author
Time
Yeah! Anyone who's interested can post a MP3 sample of their voice, and then I'll pick the most appropriate!

Unless you want to fly over here, though, you would need to record yourself in synch with Hayden's lines, and then somehow get it to me so that I can mix them with the music and the other actor's voices. If any good actor is crazy enough (besides me) to actually put in the time in front of the monitor with a microphone and dub the lines, I would almost definitely use it for my edit.

What I'm working on now is modifying the color timing of the "forbidden kiss" scene (for starters) to make it a dark moonlit scene. This will be inserted where the awful "fireplace" scene used to be. Going where the "forbidden kiss' scene used to be will be the deleted scene with Padme's family. Therefore, the kiss is the culmination of the Naboo love thing, which I thought to be a good thing. And you wouldn't believe how convincing the scene looks, considering the huge colour changes it has gone through. I can post some test screenshots if you want.

The dialogue changes I'm making are all considering the former lines and what words and syllables are similar to the former lines (so as not to seem out of place. I don't want to give it away yet, but I think you guys will be surprised in the end.

BTW, when I'm finished with my edit (hopefully some time this year), would Rikter be the guy to send a disc to? I know he puts up a lot of the Star Wars torrents. I also don't want to give out contact info because I don't know what kind of trouble you can get into with this type of thing.

Emperor Jar-Jar