Author
Doctor M
Parent topic
Disney's Theatrical Animated Features: Best Sources List
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/644110/action/topic#644110
Date created
8-Jun-2013, 6:12 PM

I'm finding myself confused by Peter Pan.

A quick catch up, there is the 1991 LD transfer, the 1997 LD/1999 Limited Edition DVD transfer, the 2002 Special Edition, the 2007 Platinum Edition, and the 2013 Diamond Edition.

Anyway...

I noticed AntcuFaalb said the 1999 Limited Edition is the last/best edition, but I can't find any screenshots or reviews that back that up.  What I've seen is the Limited Edition's quality referred to as shaky.

While each newer release gets a more enthusiastic review, screenshots have led me to the conclusion that the 2002 Special Edition is the last good version.

The '02 SE even with the haloing looks to be an improvement over the '97/'99 transfer with very similar to slightly improved colors(?)  And the colors definitely look better and more natural than the 2007 Platinum and 2013 Diamond.

Even more surprising is that the '02 Special Edition looks much sharper than newer versions (even the BD), like they once again overscrubbed the film for the '07 restoration.

Can anyone give me further info on the Limited Issue?  I don't have enough info to call the LE the clear winner.

Here I've got some comparison screenshots (that aren't mine):

In order we have the 1991 LD, what is either the 1997 LD or a really soft 1999 LE DVD, 2002 SE DVD and 2007 PE DVD.

The 1991 LD has some surprising color detail not found in subsequent releases.  I don't know whether to call it the best for color or just an error in capturing an analog interlaced source.

Is the Limited Edition really that soft or is that another LD cap (the original poster was unclear)?

Discuss.