logo Sign In

Different skins

Author
Time

So, I was wondering, how difficult might it be to make a simple alternate skin with the texture on the sides replaced by one color (it causes this horrible flicker on some monitors) and black text on white background? I have an eye condition that makes it pretty painful to read bright text on dark background for longer periods of time, so this forum is seriously killing me sometimes.

Author
Time

I don't have any personal experience doing this sort of thing but using browser plugins like Greasemonkey for FireFox and TamperMonkey for Chrome you can alter others' websites look and behavior.

You should be able to relatively easily override the css of the site with these tools. If you need help using these I can try to provide support. I do web site implementation so I know javascript and css well, but not these particular plugins.

Author
Time

Thanks for the advice. If you were so super nice and made a script that would change the appearance of this site like I described it above, it would be awesome, since I have no idea how to do that myself.

Author
Time

I can take a quick stab. Browser preference?

Author
Time

Firefox at the moment (Chrome just stopped working properly for me for some reason). Thank you!

Author
Time

I updated the script so it looks a bit better on the thread browsing pages. Also, this script pretty much runs as is on Chrome, too.

Cheers!

Author
Time

While it's very cool that box has solved Harmy's problem, it would be even better if the forum admins would enable something other than "OT New Skool" in the forum skin preferences so everyone could select what they like.

Author
Time

^ this.

Also, it really shouldn't be that hard. I spent maybe an hour with Firefox and Firebug to figure out what CSS to override. If someone really wanted to do a nice job, unlike my quick and dirty hack, they could spend less than a day and create a decent alternative. Maybe the site could even support user-uploadable themes in the form of CSS files or even LESS/SASS files. That would be great.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, that hour included learning how to use GreaseMonkey, but yeah - there was a good deal of right-clicking on elements to see what their id or class was.

Still one hour versus how many have you put in for even small changes on your despecialization? I felt bad not trying to buy you a beer last summer when I was in Czech for a few weeks, so consider this a tip o' the hat and beer raised. T'uk!

Author
Time

I thought this thread would be about Silence of the Lambs.

Author
Time

Ripplin said:

Back in my day, we went to school. All this hippin' and hoppin' and bippin' and boppin' makes people spell funnily.

Yeah, and they don't know what the jazz is all about!