logo Sign In

Deleted, altered, and alternate material project (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I feel like a dwarf among giants just even starting a thread detailing my little project in this corner of the forum.  I’m always very upfront about my general lack of editing skills.  I will say, however, that I am creating a DVD (likely two, really) containing all deleted material for both the OT and PT, emphasis on OT.  I’ve gathered all the scenes available from BD and DVD sources, but as you all know, there is still plenty missing from there.  I’ve also been putting together montages of all three individual OT episodes, plus a fourth for the PT as a whole, containing deleted shots, alternate takes and angles, etc.  Finally, I’m trying to collect pictures and clips of the most notable changes to the films.

I’m not expecting this to be any earth-shattering release–just a nice comprehensive collection of material with some explanations on a rather basic DVD or two.  My main reason for even starting this thread is for leads on pictures.  I’m trying to get as complete a collection as possible.  If you come across a picture or site that has even just a slightly different angle shot, please feel free to let me know here so I can add it to my already vast collection.  Even if I already have the picture, I’ll be grateful for your help.  Ultimately I hope to put it up on MySpleen.  Any help here would be hot!

Author
Time

http://www.starwarsarchives.com

^It's a very Java intensive site, be forewarned.

There is a Yahoo group devoted to deleted scenes that had a lot of photos...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swcutscenes/

You might need a Yahoo ID to join it and see content though.

Here are some old sites that are still around...

http://starwars.rossiters.com/

http://galactic-voyage.com/Star%20Wars%20Cut%20Scenes.htm

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=8

http://www.malgusto.com/cine-television-famosos/curiosas-y-raras-fotografias-del-rodaje-de-la-star-wars/

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

You're great, man ! This is one of the projects I started many years ago but never finished.

I can send you all my stills I found during my "research" period, but I am afraid you already have most of them.

BTW are you putting them back into the movies where they chronologically belong ? Or are you just collecting the scenes ?

Author
Time

This is a cool idea!

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's all just rather simple.  It's just a collection, not actually incorporated into the movie.  The Blu Rays of course are the best source of actual footage, but there is other material I'll be using as well, such as the alternate Han/Leia at Cloud City scene, Declan Mulholland as Jabba scene, the B&W Luke and Treadwell scene (which is a different take than the color version included in the BDs), etc.

Then I realized that there were hundreds of pictures of scenes not even included in the BDs.  For instance, when Luke and Vader arrive at the Death Star to face the Emperor:

Or when Luke's mask is removed just before Leia comes to check on his recovery:

I tried to arrange three montages of all the interesting pics I could find together in chronological order with music from the respective films in the background and descriptions every now and then.  I could actually call it quits now if I wanted to, as I've got quite a bit and it's already arranged and all, but part of me just doesn't want to finalize it yet because I'm hoping for even more.

In summary, it's just a peek at everything that was missing, first the scenes, then the montages.  I'm interested in scenes we already have as well, but from alternate angles or different takes.  Or even just brief seconds cut from the films.

Also, using the DVDActive source as a guide, I'm putting stills and clips together of the most notable changes between editions.  Yes, this means I will not use most of the very small changes discovered on this site, amazing as they are (though I will probably include 005's albums in the DVD-ROM folder).  Just the most obvious will be included.  I started this project with my sister in mind and I've been providing her with various editions of the OT and its SEs on DVD, so most of the changes are just noted with pics.  But for the PT, where it's not really worth getting a whole new film for just the tiny changes, I've planned on actually showing the clips with their little changes.  I don't think I'm going to bother hunting down the ROTS bootleg or rip the BD just for its simple wipe, though.  Like I said, only the most notable and obvious changes.

Thanks for all those leads, Silverwook!  I'll look through those sites for anything I don't have (or for better quality versions).

Pittrek, there's a very good chance you've got at least something I don't have, and your pictures might be better quality than what I've already got.  If you're willing, I'd be very appreciative of you sending me whatever you've got.  Thanks for the support, guys :)

Author
Time

Sadly it appears to be blocked :(  Do you have a Vimeo account? 

Author
Time

Wow, they block even videos labelled as unlisted ? Bastards.  I'll try to put it on uloz.to, I noticed in Harmy's threads that you can watch videos directly there

Author
Time

I'll give it a shot.  I can't watch it at the moment, but as soon as I can, I'll take a look and let you know my thoughts.  Thanks :)

Author
Time

Downloading. It's bigger than I realized, so it might be a while (surprisingly slow connection right now).  It won't let me preview it, but anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Author
Time

Your video looks great, pittrek. That's cool to see it all put back together like that (nice touch with the 16 mm or whatever it was). Sadly I don't think I'd be the right guy to put the scenes back into the movies, though I hope someone will make extended editions of the OT sometime soon. But I'm definitely interested in seeing your stills if you're willing.

Author
Time

The main video was taken from Puggo's transfer. I'll reply to your PM as soon as possible

Author
Time

Finding lots more good stuff and have gotten comparison clips for the changes in Episodes I and II. Like I said, I won't bother much with the comparison clips for the other four films, as I'd rather just describe them with pictures and provide the actual videos. While I'd been to a couple of those sites SilverWook had recommended, I'm surprised how I'd missed a few of them as well, and I've found plenty more good stuff. So I'm making progress towards getting this very comprehensive project together :)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

All right, I think I'm done collecting pictures, at least for the OT section.  The PT still has lots of work to go, but I think I'm probably just going to use mostly pre-existing collections.  Can I just tell everyone what a pain it is to make sure I have the highest resolution of the picture selected, then right-click, save as, etc., for hundreds and hundreds of pictures?  Then organizing them chronologically and making sure I have the best quality version available...and my project is much simpler than most everyone else's.  I don't know how you crazies do it!

Anyway, I wanted to request a little help.  I'm looking for brief clips as well.  Pittrek sent me a bunch from the original trailers which are quite useful.  However, I know in Deleted Magic, Star Wars Begins, Building Empire, and Returning to Jedi, there are little clips of slightly extended footage.  Now I have these and might be able to take care of these on my own, though I'm really not using my time well as it is right now.  But also I understand that in the Blu-ray documentaries are brief clips such as Padme (I thought it was Shmi, but source says Padme) puts 3PO's face on, or supposedly Luke says:

"Weeho, steady girl! What's the matter... you smell something?  There's nothing out there. I'll check again..."

...just prior to getting mauled by a Wampa.  I can't get these sorts of things on my own, as I don't have a BD player for my computer.  I really would appreciate anyone just sending me even brief clips like this so I can include it on my set here.  PM me to let me know please.

Author
Time

So this project is no where near dead. Though I haven't posted here for a month, I still have been collecting pictures in my spare time. Here's the thing: I haven't found any new pictures from deleted scenes for a long time. However, when I started collecting pictures, it occurred to me that there are a number of interesting alternate angles and shots that could be included. And aren't alternate takes, in a sense, deleted material? From there I started expanding my collection. Then it occurred to me that all the changes throughout the various incarnations of the films are in a sense, deletions and replacements. So my deleted project has expanded greatly.

Well, now I find myself at the point where I'm ready to stop. I have located sources with hundreds of pictures, often not well organized, and it takes a great deal of time to download them all. I've been reorganizing things, and ultimately the clips I had already created are now dreadfully obsolete. I've really found some cool stuff.

I wish I could get some help (hint hint). Most particularly, I'm struggling with starwarsarchives.com. Tyrphanax has offered to help, but I know he's plenty busy. That dude has some unique material, and even though much is watermarked, I'd still like to get ahold of it. But as far as I can tell, since it's a flash site, there is only one way to get those pictures: printscreen, paste to Paint, save. And I can only do this with the smaller pictures because once you enlarge most of them, they always take up more than your screen, no matter what efforts you use to try to shrink them to simply fill your screen. I've settled with the smaller pics, but it's still so time consuming. I'd love some generous souls who were willing to even help with just a few. That way I could finish with the downloading and work on the organizing and converting to video files.

Also, I still need help capturing stuff from the BDs (mentioned in the above message). If you need to know specifically where to find it, PM me. I can't get those on my own, but I think they'd be worth having. And really, if anyone can help in any way at all, please let me know. I can suggest areas of focus.

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

I wish I could get some help (hint hint). Most particularly, I'm struggling with starwarsarchives.com. Tyrphanax has offered to help, but I know he's plenty busy. That dude has some unique material, and even though much is watermarked, I'd still like to get ahold of it. But as far as I can tell, since it's a flash site, there is only one way to get those pictures: printscreen, paste to Paint, save.

Couldn't someone w/ Flash (the creation tool, not the plugin) decompile and extract the assets?

And I can only do this with the smaller pictures because once you enlarge most of them, they always take up more than your screen, no matter what efforts you use to try to shrink them to simply fill your screen. 

What about doing an image in pieces and reassembling?

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

In answer to your first question, I don't know.  Maybe.  I'm no pro at pretty much anything.  Anyone else who knows better could answer.  In answer to the second question, the thought has occurred to me, but it already takes so long to copy and paste and crop the images that it's almost not worthwhile to do it piece by piece...at least, not without help *wink wink*.

Author
Time

Even though it's flash, I think it opens image files from somewhere. And I think there are softwares that can monitor your browser and grab the pictures themselves.

I've used Orbit for similar things before but I don't know if it supports images through flash.

Author
Time

I have solved the problem entirely but am going to wait on posting details until the operation is complete. If this all works correctly, the only thing left to do would be removing watermarks. And good gracious does that guy love his hideous watermarks.

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

Are you serious?!?!  I tried numerous times utilizing various strategies suggested online to no avail.  You sir are a Godsend :)

As for the watermarks, I have no idea how one would remove those!

Author
Time

I am sorry I never replied to your PM, I am "extremely" busy these days with starting a new business :-(