logo Sign In

DOOM: knee deep in the edit. (* unfinished project *) — Page 2

Author
Time

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, could you clarify?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This looks an interesting project.  However, it would be really nice to have that original 'DOOM' logo design included at the start (say, just in red against black background) as it's such an iconic-looking bit of typography, and really would set the tone.

Your subtitle lettering looks great though!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Okay, I've been reading this over and tinkering and seriously considering tackling this for real. If I do then I'll let you guys know soon.

I intend to go along with most of my initial ideas and i'm currently tossing around some ideas with the very talented Vaderios and RoccondilRinon .

There are still some areas of the the film i want to work on, in terms of design and what i would change. I have started compiling notes, concepts, music, and effects as a source of inspiration and motivation. Right now there are about 5 songs I really want to include in the film. there will probably be more further on, But this is all I've seriously considered at this point.

1 - Hey man, Nice shot [Filter]. It fades in nicely and has just the sound i've been looking for. I'd be using this for a brand new credit / intro sequence that would include the original opening and a few new shots I plan to composite and *cough* steal from another movie ;) - one thing i'll be removing is the zoom in on Mars that leads into the UAC complex - It's a good idea but it looks kind of crap and blends an overhead shot with a side-on shot - that always bugged me - i may re-use scrapped elements of the shot elsewhere.

2 - Rip it up [Jet]. This I happened upon just listening to the radio, I tried running it along with the chopper seqeunce as they head for the UAC ark on earth and it fits suprisingly well. - I want to cut a lot of dialogue shots from the scene, so I'll see how well it fits after tinkering.

3 - Don't you (Forget about me) [Simple minds]. I'm planning to use this as the background for the Ark complex on earth, Kicking off as they descend in the elevator and playing softly [with some sort of room effect i guess] in the background until John goes thru the ark at which the music will fade out with some sort of flange effect. It works in supermarkets.

4 - Don't fear the Reaper [Blue oyster cult]. C'mon it's a reference too good to pass up. I have'nt worked out a precise placement for it yet but I intend to.

5 - The Mission [Puscifer]. It's got everything i want in a closing track, plonking piano keys and apocalyptic themed lyrics, Also I wanted a way to fit Milla Jovovich in there somehow ;)

These choices might seem pretty strange but they fit in pretty well, IMO.

Right now I'm looking closely at things I would change that were purely creative decisions, Like the discharge from the BFG [bio force gun / big fucking gun - take your pick] being blue - I intend for it to be green like in Classic doom.

And in response to ImperialFighter - although I do intend for a completely new title sequence, I do hope to try and use the Iconic Doom title logo - I will only abandon it if I cannot make look and feel right.

Oh an I am planning to include a full sequence in 3d now, I've been spending some time looking into this.

Here are a few current concepts under consideration – If I get started on this soon then more will follow. Just keep in mind they are merely concepts and not indicative of the final product.

1 by Vaderios

2 by Vaderios and futrther cleaned up by me

3 by me

4 by me

5 by me

6 by me and Vaderios

in conclusion, I'm not officially working on this edit but I'm seriously intending to quite soon. As always keep any good ideas rolling!! - and thanks for listening.

How'd you go with your ideas, dayv?

Author
Time

I'm still hoping to watch this one day!

Gets better every time i read this thread!

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm tinkering with a fairly 'game changing' idea at the moment. It started with an idea and i'm looking through the rest of the film to see if it will work out right, So far it's looking good. I'll post details on that soon.

I can say right now that this idea wold include the removal of the entire helicopter scene, But if I do it right then the scene shouldn't be missed at all.

Right now I'm really looking at ways to bring some more DOOM flavour into DOOM.

Author
Time
Johnny Ringo said:

I'm tinkering with a fairly 'game changing' idea at the moment. It started with an idea and i'm looking through the rest of the film to see if it will work out right, So far it's looking good. I'll post details on that soon.

I can say right now that this idea wold include the removal of the entire helicopter scene, But if I do it right then the scene shouldn't be missed at all.

Right now I'm really looking at ways to bring some more DOOM flavour into DOOM.

Don't you mean more of a DOOM mood into DOOM?  ;)

Author
Time

Okay, The meat of the Idea I'm working with is that the Ark is not used anywhere near as much as in the original film, only as a last resort as the Demons flee to EARTH and the Marines have no choice but to follow.

I don't really like the idea of them using alien tech that they can barely control or understand, so instead they use their own tech that they can barely control or understand.

We see that it is a dangerous and unpredictable process - after what happened to Pinky. So the core of my idea in this area is twofold -

A The Ark only becomes a focal point later in the story [Sam's opening monologue will be dumped most likely]

B It's supposed to be a futuristic movie...Where are the spaceships?!

The Marines will not get about on a freaking spaceship, specifically this one...

Now, The first thing to deal with is the fact that they travel to MARS via the Ark from EARTH. Here's the head scratching part, I'm looking at attempting to splice shots from the arrival at BOTH of the Ark rooms.

We see the elevator doors open and the Marines step out into a foyer and meet UAC's PR rep. This was an EARTH scene, it will now be implied that we are already on MARS - Having our ship already docked / landed.

The PR guy warns them not to get to the Ark or they may get sucked in, I'm planning to add some VFX to imply the ark here isn't operating at peak performance... The kid will ask if it's always that rough and Pinky will roll forward and explain just how rough it can be.

Now there's a LOT more to it than that, but there's the basic gist of it - I'm ironing out a lot of plot points to make this idea work out.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Some shit for me before vacations.

Retrofying Doom. Weird colors and flesh tones. Bright yellow hightlights and blury mood.

Grindhouse effect? damaged film and stuff.

-Angel

–>Artwork<–**

Author
Time

Nice. The lights actually look like lights now. Did you save any of your work this time?

Author
Time

A few current concepts - No grindhouse effects yet, Although I am working on some. Note - these are NOT attempts at colour correction, merely ideas and concepts. The only thing certain in terms of visuals is that I will be getting rid of the blue tint present throughout the movie.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hoping to start work this weekend on at least an initial intro concept. Got a few notes and ideas together so far.

EDIT: - A few more concepts form the other day...

Author
Time

Earlier in the thread you were talking about music to use and what-not. In the old Doom game, wasn't a lot of the music blippity-bloop renditions of actual rock/metal songs? I seem to remember there being tunes by Nine Inch Nails and either Metallica or Megadeth used in the game. Perhaps these could be used in the film as well? I'm sure there's a list somewhere of the songs/tunes used in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

So, working on the edit for the first time in a few weeks and I decided to go take a look at the Posessed recut of doom and see how they handled a few things.

Now, as is often the case when I talk about the 'other' Doom fanedit I come across as negative. Which really isn't the case, But this is something that has me completely baffled. Anyone have any ideas?

Safe to say I'm not 'stealing' any ideas - I've got something of my own that I'm hoping will work out. Trying to really condense down the intro and get into the story.

Author
Time

working on a 3d concept - I'd appreciate if anyone with Anaglyph 3d glasses [red / cyan] could take a look and get back to me. The image isn't perfect, just fine tuning some ideas / methods.

Also put together a short list of Fonts i want to include. I decided to take a cue from Tarantino and use different fonts for each of the main acts. - There will still be continuity on things that matter, though.

concept idea - i'll probably go with something much rougher in the end, style wise.

Keeping the font used in the film, but restricted to use only when necessary. The characters general say where they are so there's no need for redundant details. And the opening scene appears out of context so day and date should help.

The rest of the shots are UNFINISHED concepts for the [planned] opening sequence. I plan to add some haze and other subtle things, Mainly i've been working on the colours here. I'm also planning on giving the colouring a bit of a stylized look after I get it all to a look I'm happy with.

I'll work on applying Grindhouse style visuals once of got things laid out properly so that they add to the experience, rather than detract from it. At the end of the day, it has to be enjoyable or there's really no point to it all.

Author
Time

Okay I've tried a few ideas and it seems that i may need to keep the Ark teleporter scenes from early on in the film - i'm not entirely out of options but i started to think about ways to improve on this when i realised that i may be able to make it more like the [classic] games. which is one of my many goals on the project.

I don't have my project files on this computer but i managed to knock out a quick [and very rough] concept -

Author
Time

This fan cut sounds AWESOME, and I can't wait to see it! One piece of input I'd like to make thoguh, is that I'd really like to see the classic Doom logo in there. I thought that the mockup image you did looked very good, but if you don't think it fits, it's your project so do whatever you like.