logo Sign In

Post #557975

Author
darth_ender
Parent topic
Collaborative Fanediting: An ROTJ Proposition (BACK ON TRACK WITH EMANSWFAN AT THE HELM--SEE POST 1488 OR OP FOR A LINK!)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/557975/action/topic#557975
Date created
7-Jan-2012, 7:26 PM

The Assignments Post:

Final post for now to hopefully give some assignments.  Yes, some of you volunteered your services, and I don't want this to be a perpetual ideas thread.  We actually want to turn these ideas into a movie.  I'm going to call you guys out on the carpet and encourage you to utilize your skills but set your own goals.  I will update the name of the thread to reflect these assignments and goals.  I know we all have personal lives, and I have no idea how long some of these things would normally take anyway, so I will leave that to you.  But please, everyone who gets an assignment, let us know what you think, how realistic it is what I will ask of you, and a timeframe when you hope to have something accomplished.  This will hold everyone accountable to themselves and the rest of the group, and we can then start seeing things coming together.  Please don't take offense at my doing this, but I just hope we can see some progress.

At the present we simply want to see some pieces, not a finished product, obviously.  Based on our conversations, these are assignments.  Everyone can feel free to volunteer or even opt out for the present, but at least we're seeing something.

CGI modeling/animation and other special effects:

Aalenfae - I know you don't have access to your good computer, but could you provide us with a mockup of any special effect of your choice?  It doesn't need to be perfect, but simply an idea.
Jaitea - You've not joined the conversation yet, but you told me in a PM you'd be willing to help.  After reading through my script and/or this thread, is there anything you'd be willing to do?

Physical models:

Johannus - When do you think you can complete a starship model?

Background/mattes:

Angel - Do you think you could composite in some new mattes in an actual moving scene?  I'd love to see this.

Music composition:

timdiggerm - I'm still not sure if you said you were willing or able to compose music, so I'd simply love to know if you are able.  It's really too early to know how to implement it yet.  It's also too early to do any other sound editing.
fishmanlee - I'd also like to know if you can get your music composing friends to join the team.  Perhaps they can help implement the alternate cues when appropriate.  I'm wondering if when you're done with those, we should have a vote on the new or old cues.

Scriptwriting/editing:

darth_ender -
I'm going to be busy, but I'm not going away.  I will try to set a goal for a modified script based on the votes that were decisive.  I'm thinking two weeks.  I know it's a long time for a relatively little thing, but it takes more time than you know, and I kid you not, I'm going to be busy.  Due on Jan. 21.

Film editing:

ben_danger
- I haven't seen you around here much lately, but you agreed to be willing to do some editing.  Once I get an updated script, could you provide us with a rough edit including deleted footage, at least of the parts of the film we've suggested altering (i.e. the order of the film)?  This is a lot to ask, but the way I see it, if we get a complete film with the pieces we already have, we can better see how to implement the new material or update the existing stuff.  Say we completed this early edit, and Angel completed a shot with new matting.  All we'd have to do is replace the old shot with the new one and we're one step closer to a complete movie.
Angel - I've already asked you to do the matting, but if you want to do some editing instead, it would also be appreciated.  What I'm thinking is that it's too much work to do the whole movie at this point, and some parts are not changed significantly.  Perhaps we could split the load.
Calling volunteers - Since editing the film might be a large task, I'm asking for volunteers to do this if ben_danger and Angel cannot.  Also we could simply split it up.  Someone could take the early scenes and someone could take the later.  Again, most of the special effects are not done, but I would like to see an early edit so we now how/where to place certain parts.  Please let us know if you are interested.

Deleted scene restoration:

emanswfan -
This has also got to be a big job, but how long do you think it would take for you to provide us with a fixed up deleted scene?  It doesn't need to be perfect, but we'd at least love to see your progress.

I truly wish to emphasize one more time, I AM NOT SETTING DEADLINES FOR ANYONE.  HOWEVER, I HOPE YOU WILL DO SO FOR YOURSELVES.  This will keep everyone motivated and keep the energy alive.  It's not the end of the world if you can't make it, but please try to keep us all up to date on your progress.  Please put your deadline here, and I will update this post to reflect that deadline.  I will also include a link in the first post.  Or maybe I'll just include the deadlines in the first post.  Who knows?  Anyway, it will keep everyone on task.  I hope this is a fair thing to ask, and I hope no one takes offense.  I really want to see us make a spectacular edit, and I believe if we all keep some focus, we can do just that.  We're all busy with real life, but at least we'll be moving forward.

Finally, let me just add that it is a real honor working with all of you, from the most active to the most imaginitve to the lurkers who I frequently see reading this but never commenting.  You are a great team of folks and I know we can see this thing through!