logo Sign In

CAPRICA: The Resurrection! — Page 2

Author
Time

I think part of the reason we only get six episodes at a time and then a break that seems to last forever is because the idiots at "SyFy" (probably the same ones that thought of changing the name) are so damn non-committal and afraid to take chances.  They want to give themselves "outs" at every possible opportunity, so when they do decide to cancel a show mid-stream it gives them time to invent some bullshit reason to deflect blame away from their own stupidity.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

In terms of story some people will not have liked Caprica in the same way that some people didn't like the direction that nuBSG went after season...(fill in blank) but the way SyFy showed it and promoted it there wasn't a chance for it to take off with the sort of people who would have liked it.

I keep reading reports of people who didn't even know the show existed until it was announced that it was being canceled or only found out about it when it came back for a couple of episodes last month.

I tire of reading how Caprica was "poorely marketed". The beggining was marketed fine. They had ads all over for it and, Syfy didn't exactly ignore marketing the show. The second half got better marketing this season of Chuck got. Syfy promo department did their jobs well. About people only finding out about it after it's cancelled well that can happen to any show. I didn't find out about Defying Gravity 'till it's cancellation news hit. I didn't even know Firefly existed at all for years 'till I saw it being mentioned over and, over on message boards. Honestly if the people who like these shows so much during their run talk about them as much as they do once cancellation hits prior to that. They'd beat any marketing campaign a studio could pay for. (Watch CHUCK Mondays on NBC! Check your local listings. It's not on this week but, next week it'll be back!!! Check it out!!!!!!)

That said. Nielsen ratings suck. Taking 25,000 peoples views to account for everyone is a horrible system. They just found 25,000 Dancing with the Stars fans is all.

Bingowings said:

I was miffed when Crusade was canceled but that had been interfered with by sex and wrestling loving TNT so much that it hardly made sense sometimes.

Crusade can make sense albeit with a few continuity glitches in the following order.
-A Call To Arms Babylon 5 telemovie
-War Zone
-Ruling from the Tomb
-The Long Road
-The Well of Forever
-The Path of Sorrows
-Appearances and, Other Deciets
-Racing the Night
-The Needs of Earth
-The Memory of War
-Visitors from Down the Street
-Each Night I Dream of Home
-Patterns of Soul
-Rules of the Game

--------
I will say this though.
Babylon 5 was shot much darker then the series proper. It's pilot aired a full year prior to the first regular episode.
Battlestar Galactica was shot on 35mm film and, brighter for the mini-series. Mini-series aired a year prior to the first regular episode.
B5 was told in it's fourth year that the end was near. Only to be renewed by a last minute save by TNT. So season 5 and, a few telemovies were produced.
BSG had a few telemovies produced during it's run. Was told during season 4 that it's the end. Dispite Ron Moore wanting a season 5.
Crusade was a spin-off series from Babylon 5 intending to be a different type of story told within the Babylon 5 universe. Titled just "Crusade" instead of "B5: Crusade". Producing another pilot telemovie longer then a standard episode. Lasting only one season becuase, the network wants to focus more on wrestling and, Law & Order.
Caprica was a spin-off series from BSG intending to be a different type of story told within the BSG universe. Titled just "Caprica" instead of "BSG: The story of Caprica". Producing another pilot longer then a standard episode. Lasting only one season becuase, the network wants to focus more on wrestling and, reality tv.
Babylon 5 later produced "B5: The Legend of the Rangers" and, "Babylon 5: Voices in the Dark". The latter being primarily greenscreen.
BSG currently has "BSG: Blood & Chrome" in production being produced primarily greenscreened.

"You are the beggining of the story, the middle of the story, and the end of the story that creates the next great story." Zathras - Babylon 5
"All this has happened before and, will happen again." - BSG

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7405/cooly.gif

http://twister111.tumblr.com
Previous Signature preservation link

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There were always a plan for a sequel series to Babylon 5.

Originally Babylon 5 (the station) would have been destroyed by the Shadows and Babylon 4 would have suddenly appeared and taken it's place (renamed Babylon Prime which would have been the name of the new five year arc series).

Babylon 4 was designed to be movable so it would have acted sometimes as a space station and sometimes as a giant space ship, sometimes even as a giant time machine (The Excalibur is almost the same length of the Babylon 5 station so it's possible that JMS could have planned to rework some Babylon Prime stories as Crusade stories).

When the decision was made to replace Sinclair with Sheridan the story was was re-worked.

Babylon 4 went back in time instead of forwards, Sinclair's gray hair was explained as a side effect of time travel rather than older age.

The attack on the station was reworked as an avoided alternated timeline.

Even with the order you suggest the series doesn't make much sense TNT really screwed up by insisting that the new uniforms and improved sets be used at the beginning of the show and that necessitated a fun episode Appearances and Other Deceits but it mucks up watching the show in the intended order.

TNT's handling of Crusade resembles SyFy's handling of Caprica in many ways but they didn't fiddle too much with the story.

Caprica was poorly marketed (once the series was actually green-lit).

I have no problem with shorter seasons (in American terms) but spreading it over three calenders with contradictory reports about when the second half was coming back really wrecked any chance of it picking up a large enough following and I can't help but think that was deliberate looking at the economic changes that took place between the green-lighting the series and showing the first episodes.