logo Sign In

Info: Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV Show) "Remastered" in HD

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's a disaster. Hopeful it never gets released on home media this way. Joss Whedon is aware and he doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, HBO managed to convince David Simon to agree to screw up the framing on the Wire, which is a terrible precedent for remastering shows.

Why are people so vehemently opposed to black bars? Star Trek looks great in HD in 4:3, but apparently everyone now wants to screw with classic tv shows. HD reruns of Seinfeld look so stupid, with the top and bottom of the frame cropped down and absolutely useless information added to the sides that we were never meant to see.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture DE - The Anti-DNR Fanedit
Duel (1971) - The Hybrid Cut
The Phantom of the Opera - 1925 Version Reconstruction - Rare Scores Collection - Roy Budd Score

Author
Time

It seems pretty clear to me from Simon's blog that they're handling the 16:9 conversion of The Wire with great care. I would, of course, prefer they stick to 4:3 as much as anyone, but it doesn't seem like they're doing the hack job that Buffy seasons 1-3 are enduring.

I'm kind of hoping that the broadcast version of The Wire HD will be 16:9 while the Blu-Ray will keep the original 4:3, but that's kind of a pipe dream, it seems.

Author
Time

FWIW, after witnessing what a royal fuckup this HD remaster is turning out to be, I'm painstakingly going through my 4:3 DVDs to archive & upconvert them, since it appears likely that, in spite of their shortcomings, they might very well be the end-all-beat-all version of the series, except for OMWF which is windowboxed to shreds, so I'm using the 16:9 discs for that one.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Hi @CatBus. I recently bought the NTSC version DVDs (region 1), and already own the PAL version. Do you have any advice on how to upconvert them with an acceptable quality?

I already tried with QTGMC to deinterlace the PAL version and NNEDI3 to upscale to 720, and look somewhat fine, but I was wondering if perhaps there’s a better method.

Thanks in advance. 😃

Author
Time

WTF is wrong with these people deleting their posts!!! When the OP deletes the most important part of a thread as has happened here can’t the mods restore it?

Does anybody remember if this was a fan project or a discussion about the rubbishy official hd versions? And for that matter, is anybody aware of any other Buffy-related fan editing going on? Google brought me here but didn’t have much else to say on the subject!

As for this Shmis Noodles, great username mate, shame about your petty attitude.

Author
Time

Aye, I agree - it was a crap thing to do by Shmis Noodles.

Unfortunately there isn’t anything us mods can do - the OP edited their post near on 3 years ago - in fact he/she edited all their posts in to just a ‘!’.

A little patience goes a long way on this old-school Rebel base. If you are having issues finding what you are looking for, these will be of some help…

Welcome to the OriginalTrilogy.com | Introduce yourself in here | Useful info within : About : Help : Site Rules : Fan Project Rules : Announcements
How do I do this?’ on the OriginalTrilogy.com; some info & answers + FAQs - includes info on how to search for projects and threads on the OT•com

A Project Index for Star Wars Preservations (Harmy’s Despecialized & 4K77/80/83 etc) : A Project Index for Star Wars Fan Edits (adywan & Hal 9000 etc)

… and take your time to look around this site before posting - to get a feel for this place. Don’t just lazily make yet another thread asking for projects.

Author
Time

That is pretty weird, changing each post to a “!”. Go figure.

Author
Time

I vaguely remember this post. I remember it discussing in moderate detail the problems with the transfer (I think cropping came up?) but I don’t recall any ideas it proposed on fixing it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think the bulk of it was a link from this site:
(these sites also have examples):
https://www.themarysue.com/remastered-buffy-is-a-butt/
https://gizmodo.com/oh-dear-buffys-hd-makeover-is-a-total-mess-1671812347

As far as I can tell, Joss Whedon is very opposed to it being released in this state, and these been no traction in the last few years for this coming to home media (all the streaming sites still use the original SD masters too). I’m not even sure if it still airs on HDTV like this anymore, or if it got recalled.

If you really wanted to, you could track down the HDTV airings, and then recreate the original framing of the show by cropping and re color-timing the open matte shots and discarding the cropped shots for SD footage (which are probably numerous, eps. the SFX shots). Probably not worth the effort.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture DE - The Anti-DNR Fanedit
Duel (1971) - The Hybrid Cut
The Phantom of the Opera - 1925 Version Reconstruction - Rare Scores Collection - Roy Budd Score

Author
Time

If Disney buys fox maybe they can give buffy and angel proper blu rays transfers