Parent topic
Info: James Bond - Laserdisc Preservations: 1962-1971
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/443970/action/topic#443970
Date created
29-Sep-2010, 6:08 AM

SilverWook said:

Did you solve your demodulator problem?

Yes I did, thanks! It was my sound card settings.

Here is the complete Laserdisc Surround to PC proses that I am using for my projects. So to have everything in this one post, I'm going to re-list a few things posted earlier in this thread.

The laserdisc player I use is :

Pioneer CLD-D704

This unit has RCA AC-3 RF and Optical Digital Out

Specs =http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-d704/pioneer_cld-d704.htm

The AC-3 RF Demodulator is a

Kenwood DEM-9991d

The computer I use for my projects is a modified

HP media PC m7760n

The PCI card I use for video capture is

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo

(using S-video input)

My sound card is a 

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

Now here is where my problem was.

The problem was with how I had (or did not have) my settings for my sound card configured in the Device Controls menu. I had to select the SPDIF in option, Set the card to use Bit Accurate Mode, And set the decoder to installed DTS/DD.

Seems that having a "Bit Accurate Mode" option for the sound card is essential to decoding 5.1 AC-3 RF signal from the RF demodulator.

Next, I will use Adobe Audition 3.0 to record the 5.1 mix straight off the laser. After that, I split each channel (Front Right, Front Left, Center, Sub, Rear Right, Rear Left) into six individual mono PCM wav files (one for each channel), and open the SurCode DVD-DTS encoder program.

The DTS encoder will re-combine the six mono files back into a new single 5.1 lossless DTS surround digital audio file. This lossless DTS surround mix file will then be re-synced to the film's video, and placed onto my preservation DVD for Bond fans to enjoy.

FF