logo Sign In

Info Wanted: Best edits of Ep 2 and 3?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi All,

I am just starting to get into this, have seen Magnolia fans episode 1 I think this is about as good as it is going to get.

I also saw his episode 2 however but thought he didn’t go far enough. I am fairly keen to check out both sithlords and JasonNs ep 2 and 3 what are your thoughts and what are the major differences between them? I have checked the cut list but that only tells half the story

If anyone is interested once I am happy with a combination ie possibly JasonNs ep 2 and Sithlords ep 3 I will prolly fix up the subbing (and maybe redo the dubs of Jar Jar) and possibly lightsabre colourings for continuities sake

Author
Time

You need to check out the Phantom Editor's edits of episodes 1 and 2.

I haven't seen either of those episode 3 edits, but I'd imagine you'll probably have to watch them yourself to really see the differences. The endings certainly sound different...

Author
Time

Hey, I know this is an old thread (and sorry to bump) but I would definitely recommend Stankpac's Revenge of the Sith: Special Edition and, as cobak said, the Phantom Editor's Attack of the Phantom. IMHO, these are the definitive versions of Episodes III and II.

Author
Time

I was really unimpressed with Attack of the Phantom, but what do I know? ;-)

Author
Time

The best (albeit unfinished) prequel edit I've seen is Trooperman's Episode 2: Shroud of the Dark Side. So many inspired changes that make it feel so OT.

Author
Time

Yes, even in it's unfinished form, it's the strongest edit I've seen.

Author
Time

is troopermans version avaliable publicly or just to a select few?

Author
Time

I can't stand the prequels even in fan edits. sure it's better when the most offensive parts are removed and scenes are trimmed but still that's a far cry from making them entertaining.

Author
Time

In before someone says "best edits are ep2 and ep3 in my trash can."

Oops, too late. ;-)

Author
Time

oracle said:

Well it's a workprint. So, TM was just allowing a few to view it so they could see what he was trying to do. But you can always drop TM a PM and ask him to send you a copy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For now my prefered EP3 edit is Kerr's last edit  http://fanedit.org/12888/

86 minutes is not SW canon, indeed, but that edit is the best non-OT SW I've seen for now.

Stankpac's EP3 is good too.

Author
Time

oracle said:

I'd like to know this too.

Author
Time

mrbenja0618 said:

oracle said:

Well it's a workprint. So, TM was just allowing a few to view it so they could see what he was trying to do. But you can always drop TM a PM and ask him to send you a copy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV's Frink said:

I was really unimpressed with Attack of the Phantom, but what do I know? ;-)

I actually have yet to see a perfect edit of Attack of the Clones but Attack of the Phantom is as close as it gets for me. However, in my honest opinion, I disagreed with the Phantom editor's decision to not have a "real" opening crawl and to keep Yoda using his lightsaber. Also, the edit is on the older side and has slightly lower AV quality than newer ones. I'm betting that the best Attack of the Clones edit will turn out to be The Brash Cut or Shroud of the Dark Side (note that I haven't seen the rough cut yet).

Author
Time

I think the best edit of episode II is attack of the phantom.  Now what would really be amazing is if somebody were to Take a 720P source of AOTP and edit it to sync with the audio track from attack of the phantom.  I'm sure it could be done, with the proper opening crawl.  The question is, would we need permission to do this?

And I think Spence's EpIII edit is best.  Stanpaks is pretty good but there are a few harsh cuts and sometimes the pace is a little Too fast.

Author
Time

Possessed said:

I think the best edit of episode II is attack of the phantom.  Now what would really be amazing is if somebody were to Take a 720P source of AOTP and edit it to sync with the audio track from attack of the phantom.  I'm sure it could be done, with the proper opening crawl.  The question is, would we need permission to do this?

Need?  No.  Not unless you think TPE needed permission from Lucas in the first place.

Having said that, it's generally considered good ettiquite.

Havind said that, I don't know how you'd even go about contacting the guy.  Best you could probably do is get him credit in the credits.

Author
Time

So far my favourite edit of Episode II is Attack of the Phantom. He didn't make all the changes that I would have made, but he really turned Anakin's character around and made the romance actually work!

I would go a little further, remove Threepio entirely if at all possible, recolour Geonosis, reintegrate Padme's negotiation scene with Dooku and make Dooku a good guy (and basically the founder of the rebel alliance) rotoscope a new sabre for him (possibly yellow) and see if I can paint out that force lightning on Anakin to make it a force push instead. And of course cut the Darth Tyranus ending. I'd also remove the ridiculous forbidden love angle, They have a relationship, that's it, no one cares.Also I'd see if I could remove Jango and Boba, or possibly just Boba and see if it would be possible to recolour Jango to turn him in to Boba. Long shot but I can dream.

I have yet to see a really good edit of Episode III. I've been looking, but the ones I've seen so far have been kind of sloppy.

Visit my Webcomic! Nonstop Pop

Author
Time

Is there a cut that  Removes Hayden, might make Episode II and III watchable.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

Is there a cut that  Removes Hayden, might make Episode II and III watchable.

Yes, but it's renamed Star Trek.
Author
Time

I might would consider trying to make a "restored" version of AOTP while I'm on a break from ROTJ.  It would probably not get done all too quickly however.  Also if I did it the best I could give you would be a DVD9 with exactly the same picture quality of the official dvd.  Or I'm considering possibly slightly desaturating it and re-encoding it, but I dunno if it's worth the extra encode.  Although I will admit, it does make it slightly easier on the eyes. 

Author
Time

Does anybody have any info about the shots that the phantom editor rotoscoped or added himself? I only read about them I don't know where specifically they are.

Author
Time

He did a frame by frame roto of Obi Wan walking out of frame as Anakin is about to say "she hardly even recognised me, Jar Jar" and flopped him (final cut term - means flipped :-p) horizontally as well as scaling him down slightly so he looks further away so he looks like he's walking back on himself in a circle.

He does this because he cut all the whiny dialogue (and Jar Jar talking!) which doesn't give Obi Wan time to have made it back around without it.

As for the other rotoscope you're asking about, I have no idea...I didn't know there was one.

Author
Time

brash_stryker said:

As for the other rotoscope you're asking about, I have no idea...I didn't know there was one.

I'm pretty sure that he also rotoscoped out the "slow steam" effect from the shot of Anakin and Padme arriving in the Geonosis factory, as well as some rotoscoping work in the scene with Dooku and Mace in the Geonosis Arena with the Jedi in the background (since he did some scene readjusting with when the Jedi appeared in the story).

Author
Time

Too bad he didn't rotoscope Obi-Wan into the correct fricking seat of the speeder after Anakin ditched him during the chase through Coruscant...

Author
Time

JasonN said:

I'm pretty sure that he also rotoscoped out the "slow steam" effect from the shot of Anakin and Padme arriving in the Geonosis factory, as well as some rotoscoping work in the scene with Dooku and Mace in the Geonosis Arena with the Jedi in the background (since he did some scene readjusting with when the Jedi appeared in the story).

Is this in the commentary? I don't recall...