logo Sign In

Info: I found some Battlestar Galactica (old series) - fan edits with CGI

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Browsing Demonoid I noticed a couple of fanedits, that I don’t think have a thread about them here (at least a search shows nothing).

The Living Legend - SE… Both parts edited into film format, new title sequence, deleted scenes put back in (from DVD probably) and some new CGI shots in places.

Judgement Day… Fanedit of ‘The Return Of Starbuck’ with all G1980 references removed, plus new CGI viper shots and dogfights. Plus different ending.

Apparently there’s more to come from this guy as well.

Author
Time
Sounds really cool. I hope the new CGI shots don't stand out that much from the rest.
Author
Time
Sounds intriguing. Though I really question the CG Vipers part. I'll have to check them out.

Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time
The CGI is not quite movie quality, but it's not bad either, for a fan project. In the case of Return Of Starbuck the entire dog fight sequences is new, as I realised when I compared it to my VHS recording.

Author
Time
Didn't notice this here when I first posted under a new topic.

I did the BSG edits and I do apologize for the cropping that seems to be annoying so many. In another thread I stated that one of the reasons for the cropping is I used some footage from the movie release DVD of BSG which was cropped letterbox. However there was another reason which is involving the transfer from DVD to editable avi files. I was using DVD2AVI at first, but it kept cutting video from the transfers at the beginning. So I went another round about way of transcoding to xvid/divx then to an avi I could take into premiere. Keeping all the quality settings at max. However the divx "bug" would be imprinted on the video here and there and the letterboxing helped hide that.

So if anyone knows a better (and easy) way to transcode the VOB files to AVI DV files please let me know.

Also, as I composited some of the cgi the letterboxing came in handy there to allow some manipulation of where the elements enter and leave the screen. Not a major thing, but I did make use of it.

Hope the cgi did not jar too much with the original footage. Being the source was vhs (for Return of Starbuck) I tried to make it work with the quality of the source. I know I could have worked much more on getting everything more detailed and matching, but this was really a fun exercise for me that I hoped would be enjoyed by some fans out there. I am impressed with the level of detail and accuracy that other fan editors put into their work and I'll say now that I am not claiming to achieve that level. I take my hats off to you all and glad I was directed to your site. Looking forward to viewing some of your work. And it will make me step it up a bit if I ever decide to re-edit BSG-Saga of a Starworld.

Dave
Author
Time
Originally posted by: dkerin

Keeping all the quality settings at max. However the divx "bug" would be imprinted on the video here and there and the letterboxing helped hide that.

The DIVX logo can be switched off in DIVX settings.

Have you tried editing with Womble MPEG video wizard? You can edit MPEG2 straight off the DVD and it saves your edit and only re-encodes the edited parts.
Author
Time

Hello,

I would like to say what a great job you did. Wonderfull that you have placed time and effort into this project, it shows!

Keep up the Galatica work. BSG was my reason for living at 12 years old, and it's a fun universe to play in.

A few months ago, I posted some info on a number of Galatica Telemovies I have placed on DVD, (I can't find it in search). Some of these movies had footage not used in the original broadcast run, and is also not on the DVD box set. If you would like to get a hold of the Telemovies for your work, PM me...

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
So you can turn the bug off huh? I should look deeper into the program. For encoding I was using AutoGK, will have to see if that is in the settings.

Will research Womble. Would be nice to not have to re-encode everything. Also very time consuming. And trust me, when I get to Saga of a Starworld pilot... no cropping will take place, you have my word.

All the best,

Dave
Author
Time

has anyone got the super extended pilot episode that created a while back. i remember seeing a copy on eBay .

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
So you can turn the bug off huh? I should look deeper into the program. For encoding I was using AutoGK, will have to see if that is in the settings.

Will research Womble. Would be nice to not have to re-encode everything. Also very time consuming. And trust me, when I get to Saga of a Starworld pilot... no cropping will take place, you have my word.

Remember, that Baltar is killed in the theatrical version, but not in the pilot version!
Author
Time

No you have to go into Divx settings in 'Divx settings manager' in programme menu. The Divx logo is part of the Divx codec itself, it's not to do with any encoding apps.

Author
Time
Oh yeah, that Baltar thing was always a bit odd. I know it was shown as a film in Canada before being aired in the US, and that must be before Colicos was signed on to continue, so that makes sense. But when Universal showed it theatrically here it was after the show was off the air and they didn't bother or care to alter that part for the release.

Baltar certainly will live.
Author
Time
I've watched bits and pieces of them, and so far, it's pretty good being a fan edit. Some CGi is actually quite seamless (high praise from the likes of me). Really, the thing that stood out the most were the explosions. They're just "there". There's no lighting on the ship or anything. So they look painted on, rather than part of the ship blowing up. I'm unfamilar with stuff like this, but is there anyway to blend it better?

Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time
There are certainly ways to add in the lighting effects to the ships, although in trying to match some of the cgi to the style in which they composited the miniatures back then I didn't do that. There were a few where they probably integrated light into the model, but more often the layered the various elements together.

Or I was being a bit lazy. Lighting interaction would really help blend things together though. Something I will add to the list whenever I delve into the Saga of a Starworld edit.
Author
Time
 (Edited)

i search for this edit

Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Starworld by David Kerin

but i don´t find it on google and fanedits.

can someone help please.

thanks