logo Sign In

Andrew Garfield cast as Spider-man

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LOL!

CNN:  British actor Andrew Garfield cast as Spider-man

Oh, what a tangled web he’ll weave! British actor Andrew Garfield has landed the coveted role of Peter Parker – aka Spider-Man – in the upcoming 3-D reinvention of the $2.5 billion movie franchise.

Wow, this is going to SUCK!

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

He looks like a Mars Attacks alien disguised as David Tennant.

Author
Time

He looks a bit like Orlando Bloom too.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

Ugh.  Why are they rebooting this franchise?  It's only been three years since the last one!  That was the amount of time in between the second and third movie!  Couldn't they at least give the old series a decade or so to get cold first?  I mean, continuing the same film continuity with new actors would be bad enough, but THIS?!

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

Ugh.  Why are they rebooting this franchise?  It's only been three years since the last one!  That was the amount of time in between the second and third movie!  Couldn't they at least give the old series a decade or so to get cold first?  I mean, continuing the same film continuity with new actors would be bad enough, but THIS?!

Yeah, but after Spider-Man 3, The franchise needs all the help it can get. That movie sucked.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

EyeShotFirst said:

Gaffer Tape said:

Yeah, but after Spider-Man 3, The franchise needs all the help it can get. That movie sucked.

Maybe so (although it was flawed, I still enjoyed it), but it did bring everything to a conclusion.  When franchises conclude, they don't need help.  They just need the respect to be allowed to end gracefully.

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Worst casting since Hayden Christensen for the Star Wars Prequels.

I did read that they want the same flavor as twilight for this film, and spider-man in high school.  A teen drama.  Lame.

I could see them cast this guy as Gilligan, if they made a Gilligan's Island movie, but Spider-man.  And in a low budget 3D movie with a no name director, fail all around this movie.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

Seriously! How dare they cast such a young looking and somewhat doofy looking guy as Spider-Man! The last thing Peter Parker should be is teenaged and awkward!

ps.

I'm back!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I seem to recall that originally in the comic books, Peter Parker was teenager in highschool.

Author
Time

I was a teenager when I was in High School too!

Coincidence?  I think not!

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

Shonzie as a highschooler... Heyyyyy... sit on it!

Author
Time

I just saw this guy tonight in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", and I have to now admit that he may be good for the part of Spider Man.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

I seem to recall that originally in the comic books, Peter Parker was teenager in highschool.

Warb, man...The prize for the most obvious statement now goes to you.....Everyone was a teenager in high school!!!

Unless you went to 90210, then you'd have to be at least 30+

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time

What are you talking about?  Uncle Jesse graduated from high school in what looks like his late 20s.  The Fonz was definitely in his 20s when he finished high school.

Author
Time

HotRod said:

Warbler said:

Warb, man...The prize for the most obvious statement now goes to you.....Everyone was a teenager in high school!!!

people seem to be misunderstanding my point.   It seemed like people were complaining about the decision to depict Peter Parker as a teenager in highschool as opposed to a grown man in his 20's-30's.  I wasn't try to point out the obvious that he was teenager in highschool(I agree, everyone is), I was simply trying to point out that depicting Parker as a teenager would be accurate to the original comics.

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

It's a business decision on Sony's part.  A fourth film was started with the old crew but it wasn't going well - Sony was sticking their fingers in it like they did with 3 - so Sam and the gang walked.

Sony's contract with Marvel stated that if a movie wasn't in production by a certain date, they loses the rights to the character, so Sony cooked up this "reboot" idea in order to hold on to the rights.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

HotRod said:

Warbler said:

people seem to be misunderstanding my point.   It seemed like people were complaining about the decision to depict Peter Parker as a teenager in highschool as opposed to a grown man in his 20's-30's.  I wasn't try to point out the obvious that he was teenager in highschool(I agree, everyone is), I was simply trying to point out that depicting Parker as a teenager would be accurate to the original comics.

Heh, I think we all do get what you were trying to say, Warb.  At least I know I do.  But I'm sure it was just too fun of a ribbing to pass up.

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

Warbler said:

HotRod said:

Warbler said:

Heh, I think we all do get what you were trying to say, Warb.  At least I know I do.  But I'm sure it was just too fun of a ribbing to pass up.

And for what its worth, I was being sarcastic.

Author
Time

TheBoost said:

ps.

I'm back!

Welcome back! :-)

(now go find vfp and bring him back too so we can watch the rest of his second show)

Author
Time

FanFiltration said:

LOL!

Oh, what a tangled web he’ll weave! British actor Andrew Garfield has landed the coveted role of Peter Parker – aka Spider-Man – in the upcoming 3-D reinvention of the $2.5 billion movie franchise.

Wow, this is going to SUCK!

Yes, yes, it did suck. It sucked a lot. 

Author
Time

Yep, it killed the franchise.

Still I think that had more to do with the first film being a mash up of the first Spiderman movie and Batman Begin that didn't quite get Peter's character right(I mean he steals from a store just because he has had a bad day?  He is fine with letting a guy get hauled off by the police for a crime he didn't commit?  This is not the Peter Parker I know at least it wasn't before One More day and everything had to be dark and gritty)and the second film being completely unfocused and not really having a story.  it has a plot but not a story. 

There were moments in both films where i thought he could work, but sadly the scripts were a disaster and that doomed the franchise.

Still it is funny to read old articles where people all assume this franchise is going to be the next big unstopable thing.