logo Sign In

ALIEN: REVISITED movie edit (* unfinished project *) — Page 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If there is a seperate forum, I apologize...

I am looking forward to a decent DUNE fanedit.... I have the Third Stage edition which is pretty good, but still has some niggles.

I'm a great fan of the original Lynch Theatrical cut, the end still pricks up the hairs on my neck.

As for a working title... how about, DUNE:RESPICED?

or just simply, if its going to be be as pure and complete a project as Ady's ANH:R... just call it the Kwizats-Haderach Edition?

I'd like to see the Ornithopters actually 'flap' their wings, just like in the book. And the appearance of the Guild Heighliner appearing above Arrakis could be made a bit more dramatic.

Were you thinking of changing those early space scenes at all? Because they do look very dated now. You could completely redesign the heighliner... that would be very cool. And some new CGI on the Encyclopaedia that Paul reads. And a better-looking body shields. And more realistic worms. And... ;-)</p>

I assure you we are quite safe from your friends here

The Rise of Darth Scourge, by Phil West

Author
Time

While I have it in my head as far as what I want to do with a DUNE:REVISITED, that will be a long way off; I have to wrap my head around After Effects, Vegas and plenty of other programs and it would probably be a good thing to just do at least one or two straight edits (without extra FX other than sound and editing) just to get the hang of it.

I have no issue with the look of the computer that Kyle is looking at, but things like the eyes would definitely get a change (not just simply put "blue" over them, but give the whites of the eye a slight blue tint to look more natural, with the iris' have a slight glow and the opening have a "replicant" back glow ala BLADE RUNNER - that would primarily be for mid-range and close-up shots, whereas the far off shots would probably have the eyes changed but more along the lines of blue pinpoints to signify the backs of their retinas glowing blue)...

You know, I guess I may as well open a new thread just to list the stuff I'd like to do.  I have no idea when it would get done, but I guess it wouldn't hurt just to get it out there.

“You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

While Ady doesn't own the word, it would really be sensible to come up with a different affix to your edits than Revisited.

It's just going to lead to confusion and if you are brilliantly successful Ady will get all the credit (remember what happened when Dr Polidori hinted that The Vampyre was written by Lord Byron, people bought the book but didn't believe him when the bubble was burst.

Monrovilled sounds kind of cool.

Looking just at this the chestburster still looks the part, this may sound like blasphemy but might it be more effective with a different birth cry?

Chest Burstin

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes, but like I mentioned in the first post, it's going to be awhile.  I'm going to have to learn AfterEffects and Vegas from scratch, and plan on doing some "easier" edits that won't require anywhere NEAR the FX I want to do for this.

re: chestburster scream:

I agree with you there, Bingo... I can see editing out the second mouth opening, maybe slightly slowing down the first mouth opening to accompany a different (slightly longer) scream.

“You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

Bingowings: Death Star destruct music from ANH turning up.

I never noticed that and i've seen it hundreds of times!

I recognise the similarity with the wrath of khan score, but i just put it down to Horners style during that time. I remember watching braveheart and liked the score,  i would never have guessed it was Horner untill i saw his name in the credits. I miss the kind of stuff he did for Star Trek and Aliens - nowadays his music doesnt seem to stand out, almost as if he's made it more commercial sounding.

Where as i can always identify Hans Zimmer's stuff.

Good thread Monroville! For years Aliens was the only movie from the series i could stand to watch, and the Pulse rifles dont sound wimpy! they sound like Pulse rifles! just wouldnt be the same any other way :p

Anyway, but recently - maybe because im getting older... i dont know, I like less action orientated movies now, the slower pace and claustrophic type atmosphere of alien and Ridley Scott's functional/artistic (if thats the term) style used. I just downloaded Alien Appendix 2 cos its like supposed to be the longest version and I'll get a pizza or something this evening and watch it in the dark! :P

(ooh yeah! do i know how to have fun or what! lol )

Bingowings you're just a human (?) encyclopedia on everything Alien related, can you recommend a good making of book?

You can never go home again, but i guess you can shop there.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

cutnshut said:

Good thread Monroville! For years Aliens was the only movie from the series i could stand to watch, and the Pulse rifles dont sound wimpy! they sound like Pulse rifles! just wouldnt be the same any other way :p

I understand where you're coming from, to the degree that it's what you grew up with.  Personally, they sound weak to me; they do not sound like an actual gun (there is no real bass with them).  If and when I get to ALIENS: REVISITED, this will be one of the changes.

Anyway, but recently - maybe because im getting older... i dont know, I like less action orientated movies now, the slower pace and claustrophic type atmosphere of alien and Ridley Scott's functional/artistic (if thats the term) style used. I just downloaded Alien Appendix 2 cos its like supposed to be the longest version and I'll get a pizza or something this evening and watch it in the dark! :P

(ooh yeah! do i know how to have fun or what! lol )

Bingowings you're just a human (?) encyclopedia on everything Alien related, can you recommend a good making of book?

You will like ALIEN: APPENDIX 2 (or is it 3?): some really interesting added scenes that I have NEVER seen anywhere!

And as far as being an encyclopedia on ALIEN, just ask me - ALIEN was my STAR WARS (not that SW wasn't big for me, as I was 7 when I first saw it, but it took me 7 years after ALIEN came out before I could finally see it - up to then, I had only the barest of scraps of info to figure out just what the hell this movie my parents were keeping me from seeing was all about).

As far as books to read on everything you need to know about ALIEN:

and something for the DUNE fans:

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

Monroville said:  You will like ALIEN: APPENDIX 2 (or is it 3?): some really interesting added scenes that I have NEVER seen anywhere!

Really?  The scenes in question are not among the deleted scenes on the quadrilogy boxset?  I might take a look, as new material is always interesting to watch.

Author
Time

Thanks Monroville - Appendix 2 is the only available on fanedit i have no-idea where to find the others.

Appendix 2 is: Alien Redux: the virtual workprint

I havnt watched the full thing yet! so far got up to where Kane is lowered into the egg chamber. I'm impressed so far! lots of people have commented on the poor video and sound quality - which unless im mistaken is due to the quality of the various sources -  but i think it actually enhances the atmosphere of the film and adds to the creepyness.

Im gonna watch it from scratch today.

Saw the model shots of the nostromo - thats the first time i've gotten a good look at the whole ship! she's deffinately worthy of more screen time!

And about the Pulse rifle thing, its not really that big a deal to me  - I hate criticising editors work - I just like watching alternate vision's of movies i enjoy! but looking forward to this one first  :)

Author
Time

cutnshut said:

Appendix 2 is: Alien Redux: the virtual workprint

I havnt watched the full thing yet! so far got up to where Kane is lowered into the egg chamber. I'm impressed so far! lots of people have commented on the poor video and sound quality - which unless im mistaken is due to the quality of the various sources -  but i think it actually enhances the atmosphere of the film and adds to the creepyness.

There are a couple of reasons for the rough sound and video.  One is I wanted it to look like a workprint.  So I wanted the "rough" look since many of the deleted scenes are rough in quality.  Much of the audio was pulled from the alternate audio track.  I only used the final audio track when I needed to fill things in.  The other reason is that when I rendered it the first time I did it quickly to a file that was only like 3.5 GB.  It was these files that others used to make the Appendix 2 and the anamorphic widescreen version. I had planned on doing another render to push and preserve the quality.  I just never got around to it.  I still have the whole thing spread across 10 or 20 DVDRs in DV format.

Author
Time

RIJIR:

I never really had a problem with the workprint you created, since you pretty much defined it "as" a workprint.  Granted, better quality would be nice, but I can understand your angle in that if you had the great PQ for the regular scenes, with the extra material inserted within, the EM would stand out quite a bit.  By doing it the way you did, it all blended together and it all came across like something Ridley would play for the guys in the dark room.

One of the scenes that for some reason is the most memorable to me is when the chestburster is coming out of Kane, there is a quick shot of just his feet moving rapidly from the trauma (I love shots like that in horror movies; no need to show blood and guts, yet shots like that convey the trauma and horror just as well - kind of like the scene in JC's THE THING when Gary is carried off in the darkness), as well as the full Veronica Cartwright "blood in the face" scene (what is funny is that what you see in the movie is nowhere NEAR the amount of blood that hits her, as there is a second squirt that damn near covers her face and she immediately falls flat on her back!).

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

Before I started I toyed with the idea of capturing a commercial VHS source to better match the rough deleted scenes.  I even thought of adding a faux time code because most old workprints have them.

I'm really interested in what is going to be on this BluRay set as far as Alien deleted scenes we have not seen.  It wold be nice to do this thing over if there is a lot of new stuff to add.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

cutnshut said:

Bingowings: Death Star destruct music from ANH turning up.

I never noticed that and i've seen it hundreds of times!...

Listen to the section of music just as the dropship is escaping the surface right before the explosion of the atmosphere processor (about 1.08 on this link) and compare it to just as Luke fires his torpedos before the Death Star blows up, you can't miss it once you know it's there.

They are similar situations but it just feels lazy to use the such a similar cue from such a famous score.

I know Horner was given no time with this film but it's something that could be looked at again in a reworking. in Alien The Nostromo blast had only sound effects and a bit of music at the end.

A bit of fun for fans of Resident Evil and Alien shows how different that would have been with music over it (not my work I hasten to add).

The Book Of Alien Book Of Alien

(alternate cover) Book Of Alien Reprint

and Giger's Alien (pictured above) are good reads and the extras on the Quadrilogy box set are very informative.

I've been collecting magazines about science fiction films since about 1977 so it's only natural I'd gather quite a lot of pointless trivia over the years.

Author
Time

cutnshut said:

Thanks Monroville - Appendix 2 is the only available on fanedit i have no-idea where to find the others.

I believe there are others on http://www.preserv.co.cc/

Author
Time

As TV's Frink notes, if you're interested in getting hold of the other excellent ALIEN APPENDIX releases, they are available at FE.org too.  Unlike Appendix #2 (Alien Redux:the virtual workprint) they are 'preservation' compilations filled with various goodies.  Just check out the 'artists index' section on the 'preserve.co.cc' page.

The latest ALIEN APPENDIX (#7) has recently been completed and I don't think its on there yet, but all the details about it can be seen here -  http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Alien-Appendix-7-The-ALIEN-SAGA-Archive/topic/11437/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Monroville said:

Well, ALIEN 3 and 4 don't exist in this dojo, so when ALIENS ends, that's it for me.

That's certainly how I feel about those too, Monroville...but I have a plan which would make it easier to tolerate those 2 sequels a little better eventually...  More on that at a future date.

Hopefully the next instalment(s) can redeem the franchise's good name, now that Ridley's back on board.  I'm a little dubious about his intended 'the Space Jockey is part-space suit' idea though, and just hope it's not his latest female lead that ends up inside it...!  If the mystery of that original scene is now to be explained away, then I'd like to think that we at least get someone from a tall, enigmatic alien race inside it...  Then again, I'm not entirely sure that this is something that should even be revealed, but I'm keen to see how he makes it all pan out. 

I'm also hoping that Ridley can capture some of the inventively atmospheric production design that his original had, at least.  While I'm glad to hear that H. R. GIGER will be onboard again, RON COBB's great contributions made a great impact on the production overall.  This excellent 'TUG' artwork below was the first image I ever came across to do with the movie at the time (but sadly, *isn't* amongst the extensive 'Quadrilogy' artwork extras, unfortunately) -

...and I was very interested to see the various other designs he'd come up with for the project too, such as this -

I recently came across this link which features some of his other neat ALIEN stuff, amongst other things - http://johneaves.wordpress.com/category/ron-cobb/

I also came across these 3 interesting articles which reveal just how BRIAN JOHNSON (the model maker) ended up deciding the final shape that the 'Nostromo' Tug should be -

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/324661/alien_the_history_of_the_nostromo_by_ron_cobb.html

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/286810/chris_foss_on_the_nostromo.html

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/287134/top_75_spaceships_in_movies_and_tv_part_5.html#nostromo  (note: this article also happens to have some excellent links in it, such as the web-documentary 'Alien Makers')

In fact, it turns out that the Den OF Geek site has an extensive collection of neat movie-related articles in general in it's 'archive' section.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ImperialFighter said:

Hopefully the next instalment(s) can redeem the franchise's good name, now that Ridley's back on board.  I'm a little dubious about his intended 'the Space Jockey is part-space suit' idea though

Its been a while since i googled the new movie, but I was sure i read somewhere that it wasnt going to include anything about the space jockey and it would take place 30 years prior to Alien.

Confused to what it would actually be about tho! unless its just a movie set in the "Alien" universe...

I'll google some more!

Thanks for the links to preserv, guys - I prefer it had ended with Aliens too and if ridley scott is making a new space movie - it be totally original.....but we shall see. i don't recall him ever making a sequel before so maybe he actually has a good idea for this!

edit: http://screenrant.com/alien-prequel-plot-release-date-sandy-55761/

ah! ok space jockey it is then!

Author
Time

OMG! its all gone quiet since i made that last comment - Did i scare everyone off???

hows the filmmaking going?

Author
Time

It's going... still trying to wrap my head around After Effects and Vegas.  I am currently working on doing a HD version of KILLER HORIZON, with a few alterations of my own, as well as a complete KILL BILL edit called KILL BILL AGAIN.  This and DUNE:R will be worked on here and there, short of the color correcting, which will come first.

I will probably do 2 versions of this:  a purist edition, with the hydraulic arm erased and coffee cup continuity taken care of, with a few tweaks here and there (a better star field and some minor touch-ups), and a all-out fan edit, with new FX shots replacing some of the older ones.

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

I'm not sure if you've seen the blu ray release yet, but my god it looks beautiful. Makes every previous release look like it was at 50% brightness, and it even has the cocoon scene inserted at full quality into the movie. If you're still working on this edit, I highly recommend you find a way to use that footage as a base.

Author
Time

Siliconmaster482 said:

I'm not sure if you've seen the blu ray release yet, but my god it looks beautiful. Makes every previous release look like it was at 50% brightness, and it even has the cocoon scene inserted at full quality into the movie. If you're still working on this edit, I highly recommend you find a way to use that footage as a base.

I second this opinion. The Blu-Ray makes everything look...fresher.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Siliconmaster482 said:

That was always the intent... I will be using the ALIEN theatrical cut on the blu-ray as the base.

One thing that I was really tense over was those scenes I mentioned earlier regarding the last ALIEN dvd release (concerning the "Brett looking for Jonesy in the cargo room" and most of the Alien scenes - the prior had a copper wash over the entire image and most if not all of the Alien scenes had a desaturated blue wash over the image). 

Thankfully, Ridley must have reconsidered these changes, as the copper and blue tints are gone, and ALIEN looks proper with a natural color timing.

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Monroville said:

One thing that I was really tense over was those scenes I mentioned earlier regarding the last ALIEN dvd release (concerning the "Brett looking for Jonesy in the cargo room" and most of the Alien scenes - the prior had a copper wash over the entire image and most if not all of the Alien scenes had a desaturated blue wash over the image). 

Thankfully, Ridley must have reconsidered these changes, as the copper and blue tints are gone, and ALIEN looks proper with a natural color timing.

Great!  I really must get a hold of the blu-ray set after all, now you've confirmed that the more 'natural'-looking colour of the previous releases has been restored somewhat to the 'theatrical' cut of ALIEN.  That's made my day! :)

Regarding the very interesting ALIEN REDUX:THE VIRTUAL WORKPRINT (alternatively known as ALIEN APPENDIX #2), I agree that the short shot of Kane's legs struggling violently was really neat.  Pity it was cut from the final version.  There's a few other really nice little shots that I wished Ridley had used in his 'theatrical' cut to begin with, including a brief couple from his 'Director's Cut', but there you go.  And just to repeat that all the other ALIEN APPENDIX material can be accessed on the newly re-vamped Fanedit.org site by going into the Preserv heading on the home page, then going to the Artists section on the right-hand side that comes up.  Remember to click on the 'Older Posts' that come up at the bottom of some of these featured faneditor's lists, as there's a lot more to be found on other pages.

And I note that Ridley Scott has moved from potentially doing 2 ALIEN prequels, to making something that only 'references' his original ALIEN in certain small ways.  It will be interesting to see just what he has up his sleeve now with his 'PROMETHEUS' movie, and I wonder if the 'space jockey' is going to end up remaining a mystery after all...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/ridley-scott-directing-prometheus-for-fox-noomi-rapace-locked-while-angelina-jolie-and-charlize-theron-circling-2nd-female-lead/ 

I'm kinda nervous about the Angelina Jolie possibility, however...

Author
Time

We can only hope.  I am personally glad Ridley gave it up and decided to do something a bit more original.  ALIEN 3 should have been the William Gibson script, which would have led to humans going to the source of the signal, so to speak.

And right now, the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY is going for $70!:

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ImperialFighter said:

Monroville said:

Great!  I really must get a hold of the blu-ray set after all, now you've confirmed that the more 'natural' colour of the previous releases has been restored somewhat to the 'theatrical' cut of ALIEN.  That's made my day! :)

Oh wait...just to clarify, did you mean the blu-ray's colours are more like the dvd's colours ALL the way through now...or just these few scenes you've mentioned above?