logo Sign In

Info: A PAL DVNR-free source? FOUND!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

First of all thanks to the forumers’ comments (in particular to msycamore and Moth3r) that pointed me in the right direction!

After my post about the White Magic 0.2 script, msycamore noted that the PAL THX LDs has lower DVNR problems than GOUT, but the white levels are clipped, so many light details are lost forever… well, he’s right - as usual, I must admit 😉

So, during my vacation, away from my own PC, I thought about a solution… maybe a script could take back the clipped white details lost? No, they are lost forever… well, there is the JSC, right? Yes, but I’d like to have few details more… and then BLINK an idea popped into my mind like the famous lamp in the cartoons!

Because all the THX PAL LDs share the same master - yes, with low DVNR but it is still present, and now I know with clipped white levels problem - I must find another PAL LD edition pre-THX… and I got it from a long time! YES! It is the French “Pyramid” edition (see LDDB)

I discarded early this edition because it has pinkish tones, and less details… but, after reading and reading and learning and thinking, I decided to pick it up again and give it another chance when back home.

I twicked the capture settings to improve the color, and the solution works… I discovered also that the aspect ratio is 2.2:1 (less than the proper 2.35:1) but it has a little more vertical details, and the best thing is that there are 352 vertical lines of resolution, VS 324 of the THX PAL and 272 of the NTSC DC!!!  Over 80 lines more than NTSC - almost 30% more!

note the “sun” reflection on the droid, it is completely gone along with some details in the upper part of its head… also, there are few more lines of resolution in the upper and lower part of the “Pyramid” LD.

In the next post another example.

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time

After the comments received in one of my previous posts, I decided to clear a bit my script, and I took the images posted in there and make my new verstion:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-c043O4mAw/Tg6YFHjxdRI/AAAAAAAAADI/o7kSfip61S8/WhiteDroid%252520-%252520comparison%2525202.JPG

the picture frame is similar to JSC, but "pyramid" has less lines top and right, and more bottom and left; more details could be found, and albeit colors are different from JSC V8 and GOUT, it seems there is no reference image for colors, so is it quite difficult to say which has the right colors, and which has the wrong ones! (yes, my blacks are not so black, I know!)

Then I continued to "play" with this "Pyramid" edition and I achieved the following result:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7nzLUGm2jxY/Tg6cYk4IsDI/AAAAAAAAADU/CI6RBwjSQIs/WhiteDroid%252520-%252520comparison%2525203.JPG

From White Magic 0.3 the upscaling will be done apart and not by default... so the test outputs will be smaller and the comparisons simpler.

I'm having much fun with this project, also thanks to all the inputs I received in this forum. Thanks again, to everyone!

Waiting, as usual, your comments...

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time

I'm no expert by any means, but there's something about the Spanish capture that I really like. Something about the look of it that "feels" much more like a DVD should, and much less like an old LD transfer.

Maybe I'd have to see the Pyramid in motion, I don't know.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

looking good. Keep up the work.

looking for HDTV of the  Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.  Also HDTV of The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Author
Time

Asaki said:I'm no expert by any means, but there's something about the Spanish capture that I really like.

I like the colors of the Spanish capture.  The colors of the Pyramid version look weak in comparison.

Author
Time

Yeah, I'd say that Spanish one looks the best of all in terms of color and detail.  The slight loss of content at the top and bottom of the frame isn't worth worrying about.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Ziz said:  The slight loss of content at the top and bottom of the frame isn't worth worrying about.

Exactly!  Perhaps a hybrid of the two could be made.  The Pyramid version could be used to replace sections of the Spanish LD that show DNR.

_,,,^..^,,,, could you post screenshots of the same frames of the Pyramid version without your White Magic adjustments?

Author
Time

Is it possible to somehow transfer the colors of the Spanish LD to the Pyramid transfer ?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I guess if they could be lined up well enough, you could swap the chroma.  To what extent does DNR affect chroma?

Author
Time

Here you are the comparison:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--vzClCOQedo/ThBgDFpY9GI/AAAAAAAAADc/qfVx3OWhJZg/Pyramid%252520-%252520comparison%2525201.JPG

I'm still experimentig with the script, but given the raw capture the results are good, don't you think? Which version do you prefer? (look at zoomed pictures too)

About the colors of spanish capture: you are right, they are richer than the "pyramid" LD, but are they "right"? Well, you can see also that some colors are loss due the white magic script... they could be improved if I tweak the capture color setting a little higher.

But the meaning of this thread is another: the PAL THX LDs (german, spanish, french with and without subtitles) shares the same masters, with two inherent problems, DVNR (also if not so destructive like GOUT or DC) and clipped white levels (that destroys literally white details - see the picture in the first post).

So, making a restoration based onto any PAL THX LD is wrong, as it is impossible to restore white lost details and de-DVNR the image.

Is it possible to overlay the spanish LD chroma onto the "pyramid" LD luma, but it makes any sense, as the problem of clipped white levels stay in the chroma... so if you make that way, the problem will be still present! It could be made the opposite, overlay the "pyramid" LD chroma onto the spanish LD luma; in this case, the clipped white problem is solved, but the DVNR problem will be still present...

So, at the end, the "final" solution is to use ONLY the "pyramid" LD captures to have a totally DVNR-free and color corrected (I mean without clipped whites and crushed blacks) restoration.

Author
Time

Your 0.4 version looks better.  I don't like the previous one at all.

Is it possible to overlay the spanish LD chroma onto the "pyramid" LD luma, but it makes any sense, as the problem of clipped white levels stay in the chroma... so if you make that way, the problem will be still present!

Oh, I see.  I thought clipped white levels only affected the luma.

I know that one cannot de-DNR something, but in your previous shots I greatly preferred the look of the Spanish LD.  (I still do in terms of color.  I don't really care whether it's right or not.)  That was the reason I suggested a hybrid.

Author
Time

How about some more comparisons of other scenes with different color tones - Tantive, Death Star, Trash Compactor, Falcon, Yavin - pitting the Spanish one against your other top favorites? 

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

@Chewtobacca

I must admit that I like too very much the previous spanish LD capture, but as explained it will be a "wrong" restoration... but IT IS better in resolutiion and colors, as it is THX-ed - they made something good, after all ;-)

You can see here the "evolution" of the white magic script:

http://makeagif.com/media/7-03-2011/vU3G8L.gif

@Ziz

it's quite time-consuming do all those comparison... by the way,  I'm trying to do some other captures with different color settings, and the following pictures seems promising... but it is still not perfect :(

http://makeagif.com/media/7-03-2011/SoDVUB.gif

(the one without marking is the newer capture)

Author
Time

Your White Magic scripts are definitely improving, but too much color is still being lost, to my eyes at least.  It's interesting work though. Keep it up  :-)

Author
Time

_,,,^..^,,,_ said:

@Ziz

it's quite time-consuming do all those comparison... by the way,  I'm trying to do some other captures with different color settings, and the following pictures seems promising... but it is still not perfect :(

(the one without marking is the newer capture)

You don't have to do every source and script combination, just the top 2 or 3 contenders.

Author
Time

Just saw this... WOW! Can't believe there's another pre-DVNR SW disc! It looks like a different transfer than the one used for early SW VHSes, laserdiscs, and betamaxes.

Since it is 2:20 and not 2:35 but has more vertical resolution, is it possible this was taken from a 70mm print?

Though your early samples looked quite desaturated, the newer capture looks spot on. Keep it up.

Author
Time

_,,,^..^,,,_ said:

I must admit that I like too very much the previous spanish LD capture, but as explained it will be a "wrong" restoration... but IT IS better in resolutiion and colors, as it is THX-ed - they made something good, after all ;-)

I think it's still worth preserving, even if you don't end up giving it as much attention as this Pyramid set.

Not many people have the hardware to do this kind of thing, let alone the motivation.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

This "pyramid" set HAS to be preserved, as it is the most similar to the theatrical version, as the JSC - but, as it is PAL, *must* have 20% more vertical lines of resolution.

The differences from the THX PAL LDs consists in NO white clipping and absolutely NO DVNR - this last thing is really important.

I know that there are really better sources around, but if they are GOUT based they have white clipping and heavy DVNR for sure, and maybe blacks crushed; the SE has for sure blacks crushed, and it's quite difficult to "cut" all the added CGI to restore original scenes...

I have thought this: take four OUT versions - GOUT PAL DVD in english, THX PAL LD in german, "pyramid" LD in french and THX VHS in italian (just because I want to extract the HIFI audio and need the fourth version) and combine them in a 2x2 grid; then make a side-by-side comparison and choose the better scene either from the THX PAL LD and the "pyramid" LD.

I mean: if in the THX PAL LD the DVNR or the white clipping is evident, choose the "pyramid" scene, else take the THX PAL LD scene - obviously, no GOUT for the reasons explained before.

...if only someone out there will help me to check the scenes... ;-)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi,

the 1993 german Star Wars Laserdisc release also known as "SilverScreen" Edition seems to be very similar to the french Pyramid Editions. It is quite possible these come from the same master.

I am talking about these:

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/33866/1130-05/Star-Wars:-Krieg-der-Sterne-%281977%29

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/34926/1425-05/Star-Wars:-Das-Imperium-schl%C3%A4gt-zur%C3%BCck-%281980%29

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/34893/1478-05/Star-Wars:-Die-R%C3%BCckkehr-der-Jedi-Ritter-%281983%29

These Laserdiscs are definitaly DVNR-free and don't seem to suffer from white clipping or crushed blacks as much as the 1995 THX versions.

However the transfer is really noisy, has washed out colors and some missing frames. It has about 352 lines of vertical resolution and was released around same time as the french Laserdiscs.

I am planing to capture these Laserdiscs for preservation and release DVDs and/or MKVs but I am still in an early phase testing and trying a few things.

You can found some info here:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Preserving-German-Original-Trilogy/topic/5765/page/5/

Author
Time

I know a fair bit about seamlessly blending images, so if this ever gets to the multiple-captures-ready-to-merge, I wouldn't mind having a shot at it.

DE

Author
Time

Grisan,

is the color of your silver screen pink-shifted? Is the aspect ratio about 2.2:1? Is the picture noisy?

If so, I'm quite sure that the french "pyramid" and german silver screen collection share the same master...

But it will be better to have the captures from both, to average noise and drop-outs... would you borrow me your copies, or exchange them with other laserdiscs? ;-)

The next step is coming: stay tuned!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

_,,,^..^,,,_ said:

Grisan,

is the color of your silver screen pink-shifted? Is the aspect ratio about 2.2:1? Is the picture noisy?

If so, I'm quite sure that the french "pyramid" and german silver screen collection share the same master...

But it will be better to have the captures from both, to average noise and drop-outs... would you borrow me your copies, or exchange them with other laserdiscs? ;-)

The next step is coming: stay tuned!

Yes, it is pink-shifted, but some scenes look blue-shifted.

Aspect ratio is 2.18 : 1 if you consider non-square pixels in PAL (size of frame is about 720x352).

The picture is noisy as hell and the colors are washed out.

Here is a sample image:

Here is a clip that shows that there are missing framed when compared to GOUT. You can also see that there is a blueish tint.

http://www.multiupload.com/H3F877O9W9

Author
Time

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

as I'm going to compare the "pyramid" LD with the GOUT DVD, I discovered that also this "pyramid" edition suffers the "incredible shrinking ratio" problem... sigh! :(

So, at this point, it seems thare are at least three major masters around used for OT laserdiscs... I list some of there I'm aware of, but surely there are others:

1. DVNR-free + no white clipping - NTSC Japan Special Collection, NTSC US Special Widescreen Edition, PAL french "pyramid" boxset, PAL german Silver Screen edition (some with the "incredible shrinking ratio" problem)
  2. Light DVNR + white clipping - PAL french THX subtitles, PAL french THX dubbed, PAL german THX, PAL spanish THX
  3. Strong DVNR + white clipping - NTSC US and Japan Definitive Collection, NTSC US "faces", NTSC Japan Collector's Set - also GOUT PAL and NTSC DVDs of course...

Anyway, when the comparison will be ready I'll post more info here.

Author
Time

More and more it seems that the JSC is the best LD source.