logo Sign In

97SE Pink Tint

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So I was capturing some frames from the Widescreen VHS and noticed that the pink tint was not present in Mos Eisley...has to be from the same source as some of these shots have the exact same damage and transfer flaws just with the lower resolution.

VHS:

LD:

VHS:

LD:

VHS:

LD:

VHS:

LD:

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

So are you saying the top pic is your VHS, and what is the bottom from?

Author
Time

Damn, I wonder if I still have my VHS set somewhere, I like the looks of the VHS better than the LD.

Author
Time

Yeah, I was working on a transfer of the LDs and was just going to grab the side changes from the VHS if necessary-turns out the VHS looks more balanced on ANH.

YT channel:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I've got 3 different versions of the SE LD set....1 U.S. and both Japan sets...I'll have to check ANH on the second Japan pressing to see how it looks.  I do like how the VHS looks more natural in those scenes.  Maybe it's time to pull out my VHS as well...I've got a decent enough machine with TBC to do something with them.

I wonder what it would look like if the two were combined?  Maybe there could be a happy medium?

Thanks for the caps..... 

Yeah, I was working on a transfer of the LDs and was just going to grab the side changes from the VHS if necessary-turns out the VHS looks more balanced on ANH.

Are there any known missing scene changes on the S.E. LD's?  I've been watching my Japan ones and I didn't think I saw any.

Which Wide-screen VHS set did you use, this set.....

Silver VHS

OR......

SE VHS

........this one?

Author
Time

I used the 97 Silver VHS Box. Oddly enough I recently found my old LD cap of ANH done with a Pioneer V2200 and I checked the Mos Eisley scene.

It's not as saturated or pink. The same disc was used.

???

YT channel:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That looks damn near the VHS caps you got above.....

I'll have to check my U.S. set....maybe it looks the same....it would be nice to get a good, clean, straight transfer of the U.S. version....even if it's just for archival purposes.

:)

Here are a few screens from my Japan 2nd Pressing LD's....these are unfiltered AVI (Huffy) rips, no IVTC or other processing.....

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

I used the 97 Silver VHS Box. Oddly enough I recently found my old LD cap of ANH done with a Pioneer V2200 and I checked the Mos Eisley scene.

It's not as saturated or pink. The same disc was used.

???

I wonder if it's the LD machine you used.  I did a quick test on my U.S. LD set and I can see the pink tint.  Maybe the "pressing" you have is a variation that saw limited release.  Here are a few caps from my U.S. set using my Pioneer DVL-90 captured with Virtualdub.  All I did was IVTC the test clip and take screen caps from there.