logo Sign In

Post #681228

Author
hairy_hen
Parent topic
Info Wanted: Is there 5.1 surround sound on the Despecialized Editions?
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/681228/action/topic#681228
Date created
2-Jan-2014, 6:15 PM

So . . . the main complaint here is that the Despecialized Edition does not sound anything like the official DVD, despite the fact that the official release was remixed from scratch with no regard to how it was done originally.

The problem here is evident, because as has been stated, the entire mix itself constitutes a massive 'special edition change', so even if it could be edited to remove the more obvious alterations, it still wouldn't wouldn't be anything like what was heard prior to 2004.  Certainly it could never be included in any project claiming to be a restoration of the theatrical release from 1977.

Aesthetic preference for one version over another is entirely up to individual choice.  But I must admit to being dismayed at the dismissal of my work in favor of a remix whose faults—including flattened dynamics, lack of high frequency response, poor balance between background and foreground elements, music cues too low in level or missing altogether, certain effects and dialogue being enormously distorted, incorrect placement of elements within the sound field relative to their position on screen, some effects even being out of synch to the image altogether—are so obvious.

It is important, I think, to keep in mind that films at that time were in some ways mixed quite differently than they are today.  Surround channels were mono and used mainly for ambience, with music and more flashy sounds appearing less often, though always to great effect when they did appear.  The main intention was usually to create a diffuse, wide layer of sound that seemed to emanate from all directions simultaneously, and when a sharper and more noticeable usage was called for, the mixers frequently relied upon a technique known as a '2-4 punch': mixing a loud sound effect into channels 2 and 4 (ie, center and surround) simultaneously.  In a properly calibrated system, this produces a huge, nearly unlocalizable jolt of acoustic energy that fills the room in a startling and satisfying way, and the original mixes of the Star Wars films make great use of it.  Examples include the blockade runner's engine before the ship appears, Leia's cell door slamming shut as Vader begins to interrogate her, Ben's roar to frighten away the sand people, the sound of his lightsaber in the cantina when he defeats the attacking thugs, the landspeeder's entry into Mos Eisley, Luke deflecting the shots of the training remote, the slap-echo of his voice in the Death Star chasm, and Ben distracting the guards at the tractor beam, among others.

It is worth noting that none of these surround usages appear in the 2004 mix at all; they are all much lower in level and confined to the front channels only.  Despite being flashy, the remix pays no attention whatsoever to the original sound design and does not even come close to replicating its vastly powerful dynamic range.

Also, to be fair, the real 70mm mix had discrete channels while my recreation does not; the only publicly available authentic source was a matrixed stereo downmix from laserdisc, which had to be upmixed in software in order to combine it with the custom LFE channel.  It is delivered in 5.1 format for the sake of compatibility with home theater systems (the six-track mix on 70mm prints was actually a '4.2' format, meaning left, right, center, surround, plus two bass channels).  The real thing would have superior imaging, though mine approximates it quite nicely, particularly in version 2.5 where the channel separation is improved.  So while it isn't quite ideal in every respect, it's the closest anyone could get to hearing what the film is supposed to sound like without access to the actual master tapes.

I urge you to keep an open mind and listen to the mix again, this time without preconceived bias in favor of something that bears no resemblance to the intentions of the mixers at the time the movie was made.  You may find it more satisfying, both as an example of the evolving history of film sound and in its own right.  In any event, its sound quality is so far superior to the remix that I would be very happy never to hear the latter again, and would certainly not participate in a version of the movie that included it.  If after this (and perhaps a check to make sure the sound system is properly calibrated) it still fails to impress, then I really don't know what else to say.