logo Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 89

Author
Time

The video came out for the digital releases so that would make sense, but.... grain looks more refined, color is less video looking not as dark. I know this isn't a great reference at all (a stream from the star wars site) but the footage looked/felt different.

Author
Time

VideoPhonic said:

The video came out for the digital releases so that would make sense, but.... grain looks more refined, color is less video looking not as dark. I know this isn't a great reference at all (a stream from the star wars site) but the footage looked/felt different.

Perhaps it's not the exact same grading as the 2004 release. Maybe the video was produced while they were still producing the 2004?

I was basing it mostly on the lightsaber colors and rotoscoping angles.

Author
Time

Empire Magazine's Twitter account just posted this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/645035349006159872

Empire Magazine–Verified account ‏@empiremagazine

At a Q&A tonight John Landis dropped that Disney are finally going to re-release the theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy.

5:43 PM - 18 Sep 2015

Author
Time

And by theatrical, they mean revisionist grading and no mono mixes.

So, a new book came out and we learned so much, and it is called, “Anguilosaurus, Killer of the Living”.

Author
Time

Mono mixes? I thought those were only on the 16mm prints, and that the film otherwise used various Dolby mixes (stereo, six-track, and the digital mixes later on)?

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

ANH has a 35mm mono mix. TESB had a unique 16mm mono mix. Not sure about ROTJ though.

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

pablumatic said:

Empire Magazine's Twitter account just posted this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/645035349006159872

Empire Magazine–Verified account ‏@empiremagazine

At a Q&A tonight John Landis dropped that Disney are finally going to re-release the theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy.

5:43 PM - 18 Sep 2015

Best news of the night!!! :D

Author
Time

Space Hunter M said:

It must be hard going through life this grumpy.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Space Hunter M said:

"Course... and rough as sand. He's a grumpy grump."

So, a new book came out and we learned so much, and it is called, “Anguilosaurus, Killer of the Living”.

Author
Time

"re-release"? When were the original versions released on home video? With the original theatrical timing, cropping, sound mixes? Did I miss something?

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Space Hunter M said:

I don't like reality either, but we don't get to live anywhere else. 

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Space Hunter M said:

It will be great if they release any sort of real effort of restoring the OOT. It's possible that they will even do a good job. But they'll never be able to satisfy the people on this forum. Even if Mike Verta's version comes out, there will be people here complaining about how it would have been great if he hadn't ruined it with some tiny decision they don't like.

Obviously, it would be wonderful if Disney or whoever might be restoring it gave it the same attention to detail as Mike. Even if they don't, it will be uplifting news to have 'the powers that be' no longer pretending that the OOT didn't happen or was a beta test of the film. If it happens, 99.9% of people outside of this forum who want the OOT restored will be totally happy with it (although, it sounds like plenty of them are happy with the GOUT or VHS). And the people on this forum who can spot the flaws will undoubtedly be fixing the color and remuxing the audio anyway. 

That said, it would be really unfortunate if a significantly flawed restoration blocked Mike's release. 

Author
Time

I'd accept any release of the OOT. No one was boycotting releases because of theatrical mono mixes before the SE so why should we start now?

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Mike O said:

TV's Frink said:

Space Hunter M said:

I don't like reality either, but we don't get to live anywhere else. 

Or don't we?

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

I'd accept any release of the OOT. No one was boycotting releases because of theatrical mono mixes before the SE so why should we start now?

The trick is that, unlike before, many of us have now already seen a good-quality high-definition release of Star Wars, just not an official one.  Twenty years ago, the GOUT would have been not only cutting-edge technologically, but would have at least arguably looked better than anything we'd seen yet.  It would have been happily and gratefully received (okay, I'd have grumbled about the 93 audio, but bear with me).  It's easy to sell DVDs to a crowd that's only seen VHS.

Now, if they release Star Wars in HD with the 81 crawl, 93 audio, and poorly-restored colors (and that's your most likely scenario, IMO), we'll likely say: "Meh, I'll wait to see what Harmy can do with it first".  Because we can't unsee our preservations--they are the new de facto yardsticks we use to measure release quality.  I'm not saying it'd be worthy of an official boycott, but it would certainly be worthy of a sizeable collection of uninterested shrugs, to the same effect.  Why would you watch the official release if you've already had something for years that's better in every way?

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

CatBus said:

Now, if they release Star Wars in HD with the 81 crawl, 93 audio, and poorly-restored colors (and that's your most likely scenario, IMO)

I don't see the first two as a real possibility. They already released the GOUT with the 77 crawl, meaning that they have the elements, and that it's more common knowledge that it's the original crawl. I don't think the 93 audio is a possibility since it's only a 2.0 track. What seems more likely to me is a half-assed 5.1 or 6.1 remix. 

Poor colors, on the other hand, is pretty much a given, looking at Lucasfilm's track record recently with Star Wars grading. What I would be more concerned about is getting a transfer on par with Star Trek III or IV, where they just threw a quickie DNR'd transfer together and called it good. The thing is, even if we got something with shit colors, poor colors, and a mediocre soundtrack, it would still be better than the GOUT, and provide more material for fan preservations.

Author
Time

CatBus said:

I'm not saying it'd be worthy of an official boycott, but it would certainly be worthy of a sizeable collection of uninterested shrugs, to the same effect.  Why would you watch the official release if you've already had something for years that's better in every way?

Don't forget, even if it isn't us rushing to buy a perfect release, those of us that support the ideals of the Despecialized Edition would buy an official OUT as a legal-peace-offering against outright piracy, since it would probably be a primary source for a future DeEd.

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

CatBus said:

I'm not saying it'd be worthy of an official boycott, but it would certainly be worthy of a sizeable collection of uninterested shrugs, to the same effect.  Why would you watch the official release if you've already had something for years that's better in every way?

Don't forget, even if it isn't us rushing to buy a perfect release, those of us that support the ideals of the Despecialized Edition would buy an official OUT as a legal-peace-offering against outright piracy, since it would probably be a primary source for a future DeEd.

That's why a was careful to say "watch".  Lots of us have the official Blu-rays hidden away in a location where their existence doesn't embarrass us as badly, with no plans to ever watch them.  I don't think that's the definition of a delighted customer base.

As for the 93 audio, I meant content-wise--I agree it would be some upmix, but there will still be shattering glass in the cell block.  As for the 81 crawl, I think it's a given that any packaging would say "Episode IV: A New Hope", and that unlike with Raiders of the Lost Ark, there is actually already film that includes the altered title.  The GOUT got a pass because (by Lucas-logic) it wasn't the main feature, just some bonus material.  Our best hope for a 77 crawl on an official release IMO is a "watch with original crawl" pick on the menu system.

Author
Time

I really wouldn't be terribly ruffled by audio or color timing that isn't 100% accurate to the original theatrical release, provided neither is terrible on its own without regard to the standard of the original. I think from a preservation side it's important that that version exists somewhere, but I'm not particularly offended by the idea of a home release being mastered for, well, the home. I would hope that a completely accurate version would be made available at some point, but if the choice is between an official high def version within the next year where the color's not perfect and nothing at all, I'm taking the compromise. I've never been in love with the IB colors anyway, and besides, someone here is bound to regrade it with them as soon as those discs are on the market.

Author
Time

There's an extremely small chance that a restored "original" version of Star Wars will use the 81 crawl. People aren't stupid enough to think that that's the original crawl. More likely is people erroneously complain that ESB doesn't have the original crawl because of the inclusion of the episode number.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

People aren't stupid enough to think that that's the original crawl.

I disagree--people are extremely stupid.  But more importantly, even when they're not stupid, they're imprecise.  They will use terms like "original" when they actually just mean "pre-1997".  I know a number of casual fans who really want a pre-1997 release, but they really don't care about the crawl, color timing, inauthentic sound effects, missing sound effects, etc--but they call what they want the "original" versions.  They just want a version of the Star Wars they used to know before it sucked, and many only knew it from VHS.  I suspect they easily outnumber us.  And I know Disney will cater to the largest audience first.