logo Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 66

Author
Time

I think the '97SE could be branched quite well with the original - there were far fewer changes there and you could use the same transfer, as the '97SE colors were reportedly quite close to the original.

Author
Time

Harmy, we might respect your opinion more if you knew anything about 4k.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think the '97 version has a better chance of being included than the '04 version (or the '11 version for that matter).

We don't know the details on this 4k transfer, but the evidence points to it being the SE. Presumably, it's the "final" SE and maybe also the basis for the 3D conversions if they are in fact in the works.

If that's the case, then the earlier '11 and '04 versions would be rendered kind of redundant. The 2015 version will probably just redo most of those changes and might even add a few more crazy changes on top of that. Some of the '04/'11 changes could even be reversed. Lets not forget that one shot of the truck going over the cliff in Raiders that was redone digitally for a tv broadcast only to go back to the way it was for the blu-ray.

There's been a lot of discussion here about how "Disney isn't beholden to George's wishes, they bought his company for $4 billion, etc," but I don't think we're going to see a restored OOT release that doesn't also include the "final" version in just as nicely a restored condition, at least not while George is alive and his friend Kathleen Kennedy is in charge.

Also, we can't discount the number of SE fans out there. Y'know, the tfners foaming at the mouth for even more changes with each new release.

The most likely scenario, if we do in fact get the OOT on blu-ray this year, is a two-disc set for each movie with the 2015 version on the first disc and the unaltered on the second.

A more-than-reasonable idea for a "collector's set" would go like this:

Disc 1: The Final Cut

Disc 2: The Special Edition

Disc 3: The Original Version

Author
Time

Heres to hoping for a semi specialized release with updated cgi...

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

Danfun128 said:

Heres to hoping for a semi specialized release with updated cgi...

Not that it makes any difference to me (it's the SE), but it would be nice if they finally got cg Jabba looking right. I actually like the way he looks in the '97 version. Their attempt to redo him to fit with the TPM model only made it look worse.

There are also some pretty huge vfx mistakes still visible in the '04 version, changes I'm assuming weren't fixed for the blu-ray. The big one I'm thinking of is the fleet of ships in the background rolling with the camera during the Endor space battle. They were able to fix mistakes like tie fighters and cloud cars appearing in front of the Falcon instead of behind it. Maybe they couldn't fix the fleet shot because it involved rotating an otherwise static element?

Author
Time

My dream release would not include the Jabba scene, at least, not in the semi specialized cut. I put info on my dream release somewhere on the forums, but because they lack a "search for user's post" feature...

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

In regards to a comprehensive set, I doubt it would ever contain the '04 SE. But a branch of the 97/11 would be the most likely solution (if the 97 were to be included at all, which it probably won't be). Since the o-neg exists as the 97, it would be easy to preserve that and simultaneously restore it and reassemble the 11 from the new scan. I don't think we'll see a new cut, either. The most we're likely to get is a reconstructed 11 on one set of discs and a restored OOT on another.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

I think the '97 version has a better chance of being included than the '04 version (or the '11 version for that matter).

We don't know the details on this 4k transfer, but the evidence points to it being the SE. Presumably, it's the "final" SE and maybe also the basis for the 3D conversions if they are in fact in the works.

If that's the case, then the earlier '11 and '04 versions would be rendered kind of redundant. The 2015 version will probably just redo most of those changes and might even add a few more crazy changes on top of that. Some of the '04/'11 changes could even be reversed. Lets not forget that one shot of the truck going over the cliff in Raiders that was redone digitally for a tv broadcast only to go back to the way it was for the blu-ray.

There's been a lot of discussion here about how "Disney isn't beholden to George's wishes, they bought his company for $4 billion, etc," but I don't think we're going to see a restored OOT release that doesn't also include the "final" version in just as nicely a restored condition, at least not while George is alive and his friend Kathleen Kennedy is in charge.

Also, we can't discount the number of SE fans out there. Y'know, the tfners foaming at the mouth for even more changes with each new release.

The most likely scenario, if we do in fact get the OOT on blu-ray this year, is a two-disc set for each movie with the 2015 version on the first disc and the unaltered on the second.

I agree that the 97's have more chances of seeing the light than the 04 versions, but I still would be shocked to the point of having a heart attack if they ever actually released anything but the originals and the recent version. I also would bet money that they'll never make any new changes ever again either, unless it's just recompositing or something along those lines because any more changes would piss off the entire fan base because it "disrespects" Lucas' "vision" and it's changing the movies more which pisses off everyone else. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Fang Zei said:

I agree that the 97's have more chances of seeing the light than the 04 versions, but I still would be shocked to the point of having a heart attack if they ever actually released anything but the originals and the recent version. I also would bet money that they'll never make any new changes ever again either, unless it's just recompositing or something along those lines because any more changes would piss off the entire fan base because it "disrespects" Lucas' "vision" and it's changing the movies more which pisses off everyone else. 

Something I forgot to make clear in my post:

The "2015" version, presumably from RMW's 4k restoration, would also presumably be finalized with GL's approval.

Author
Time

That's not really the point of 4k, though.

Upscaling a 1080p signal to 4k won't substantially improve how it looks, just as upscaling a dvd to 1080p won't magically make it look like a blu-ray.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

I can't.

Eat your Wheaties in the morning and say your prayers at night and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to do so one day. 

Author
Time

- "Dark Horse will never loose the license."

- "The EU will never be decanonized."

- "Episode numbers will never be excluded from marketing."

I kept hearing all those claims, and look where we are now.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Dear Thread,

http://stack-dog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/0571AE26-7118-4B22-9810-B37B1C100BAE_zpszc2oknoh.png

Sincerely,
TV's Frink

Because we're all so desperate to believe this, however false, as it is our last hope and the one dream all of us would give anything for?

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

^ Glad you cleared that up for me. I was just thinking people were posting in this thread because the rest of the internet was broken.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

Just 15 to 18 days until the official announcement that the OOT will be released.

Author
Time

TK-949 said:

Just 15 to 18 days until the official announcement that the OOT will be released.

huh? o_O

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

TK-949 said:

huh? o_O

The rumor that it will be announced at Star Wars celebration in a couple weeks. Time will tell...

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

AntcuFaalb said:

TK-949 said:

huh? o_O

The rumor that it will be announced at Star Wars celebration in a couple weeks. Time will tell...

ah, ty!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3