logo Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 67

Author
Time

TK-949 said:

Just 15 to 18 days until the official announcement that the OOT will be released.

It's what we're all thinking, right?

Author
Time

TK-949 said:

Just 15 to 18 days until the official announcement that the OOT will be released.

The only rumor I've heard is that we'll get to stream the SEs:

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/02/action-figures-confirm-a-digital-release-of-the-star-wars-saga/

I'll warn you, though, that the above is a completely obnoxious site.  Here's a nice quote from a piece linked from the above URL:

Just because the intellectual property changed hands from Lucasfilm to Disney, it doesn’t change the fact that Lucas maintains his cuts of the movies. Lucas doesn’t profit off of Star Wars anymore, but that doesn’t give Disney (or Fox who still owns the movies until 2020) any right to go in and chop up his movies to make a quick cash-grab off some jilted fans hopelessly clinging to nostalgia.

Yours truly,

Jilted & Hopeless

Author
Time

I can't find any other source that says Lucas has the right of final cut on Star Wars, only American Graffiti. Is this even a right or rather some inofficial privilege?

Ceci n’est pas une signature.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Now, here it says Lucas has final cut rights on Star Wars. Still, Disney would be stupid if these rights weren't included in the deal. Any idea how to find out who has these rights at the moment?

Author
Time

Frank your Majesty said:

Now, here it says Lucas has final cut rights on Star Wars. Still, Disney would be stupid if these rights weren't included in the deal. Any idea how to find out who has these rights at the moment?

I know not, Sire.  AFAIK, the details of the buyout haven't been given.

Author
Time

MrPib said:

TK-949 said:

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/02/action-figures-confirm-a-digital-release-of-the-star-wars-saga/

I'll warn you, though, that the above is a completely obnoxious site.  Here's a nice quote from a piece linked from the above URL:

Just because the intellectual property changed hands from Lucasfilm to Disney, it doesn’t change the fact that Lucas maintains his cuts of the movies. Lucas doesn’t profit off of Star Wars anymore, but that doesn’t give Disney (or Fox who still owns the movies until 2020) any right to go in and chop up his movies to make a quick cash-grab off some jilted fans hopelessly clinging to nostalgia.

Yours truly,

Jilted & Hopeless

Some people have a strange definition for restoring the original theatrical versions. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

"hopelessly clinging to nostalgia", "his original vision", "it doesn't work onscreen"...

Sometimes I think these kinds of thoughts (for multiple movies) are dumped onto the fanboys on the internet in hope that they will endlessly repeat them and start believing in them en masse. These ideas feel like cheap excuses to make people happy about accepting a product or piece of media that is sub par, executed poorly, etc...

Just a random thought I guess.

Author
Time

That website seems like a real dud, he's just trying to drum up some needed clicks.

Author
Time

MrPib said:

Frank your Majesty said:

So in other words, saying Lucas still has final cut rights is just as much speculation as saying Disney has them. We don't know for sure, this guy

doesn't know anything either and everyone spreads their own favorite scenario of what is going to happen.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Frank your Majesty said:

MrPib said:

Frank your Majesty said:

So in other words, saying Lucas still has final cut rights is just as much speculation as saying Disney has them. We don't know for sure, this guy

doesn't know anything either and everyone spreads their own favorite scenario of what is going to happen.

Yeah, I think many details of their deal (as well as Fox's rights) are cloudy or unclear. Personally, I hadn't even considered until now that Lucas might have managed to bargain OT final cut rights into that deal. But who knows.

Author
Time

It's too bad we didn't think to make this thread out of wood instead of bricks.  The damn thing won't burn one bit.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

MrPib said:

TK-949 said:

Yours truly,

Jilted & Hopeless

Articles such as this annoy me because in reality this article has no more credibility than if you or I wrote an article raving about how the OUT will be released. These people at furiousfanboys have no knowledge about the situation at all, yet they write in a way that implies they have some understanding of the situation.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Frank your Majesty said:

MrPib said:

Frank your Majesty said:

I personally speculate that Disney would not allow someone as notoriously difficult to work with regarding creative control as George Lucas to retain significant authority over such a valuable product. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

We shouldn't judge Mr. Conrad too harshly. He does visit our site. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I don't see how pointing out that stating "the OOT won't happen" is nothing more than speculation, either, is harsh. Especially compared to him saying restoring the OOT is "butchering up" the movie and calling people "jilted" for wanting to see it happen.

Author
Time

Use the Force. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Considering the quality of this thread, I REALLY hope that Star Wars Celebration will definitively put these OOT rumors to rest (for better or worse, at this point).

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

It's too bad we didn't think to make this thread out of wood instead of bricks.  The damn thing won't burn one bit.

Oh, you can burn brick. You just need a hot enough accelerant. 

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

Considering the quality of this thread, I REALLY hope that Star Wars Celebration will definitively put these OOT rumors to rest (for better or worse, at this point).

If Disney cannot release the OOT, they should tell us and give the reason why.

If Lucas does have final cut rights (stupid), then we can direct our anger at him and not Disney.

If Fox won't play ball, we can start on expressing our displeasure to Fox.  

If Disney doesn't want the OOT out to pander to the SE/PT fans, then we need to remind them they don't really count as people.  

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

They are people too. If they prefer the SE's (all three versions and counting) and the prequels, then more power to them.

It's when people insist the OOT stay in the vault I can't fathom. I can't see Disney passing up a revenue stream that's been untapped for years though. If they have the rights free and clear that is...

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DuracellEnergizer said:

TV's Frink said:

Oh, you can burn brick. You just need a hot enough accelerant. 

Stop harshing my buzz.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

They are people too. If they prefer the SE's (all three versions and counting) and the prequels, then more power to them.

It's when people insist the OOT stay in the vault I can't fathom. I can't see Disney passing up a revenue stream that's been untapped for years though. If they have the rights free and clear that is...

Completely agree.  It's less that the SE's are bad, and more so that the OOT just isn't available.

Gosh, I really hope with all my heart they announce something at Celebration.  It's far more important to me than some new TFA trailer right now.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

emanswfan said:

SilverWook said:

Completely agree.  It's less that the SE's are bad, and more so that the OOT just isn't available.

Gosh, I really hope with all my heart they announce something at Celebration.  It's far more important to me than some new TFA trailer right now.

These didn't seem to generate much of a laugh in the other thread that I posted. But honestly, this is simply how Disney should accomplish the next release:

photo DarthVaderChestBox_Graphic_04_zpsqr5jlwmq.png photo DarthVaderChestBox_Graphic_05_zps4bjuc96v.png

What switches would each of you flip?

If your crop is water, what, exactly, would you dust your crops with?