logo Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 37

Author
Time

For the sake of discussion: I think there's value in differentiating between plain-old DVNR and "grain management". The latter, if done carefully, can improve a home video release of a film considerably. Look at what was done for the optically-zoomed-in shots in the recent To Kill A Mockingbird BD release.

This topic is, of course, a heated one around here. The question is: Is modern "grain management" anti-preservation? I think strong arguments can be made on both sides.

DISCUSS!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

This is why grain management important to me :

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Luckily for us, there are no animated sequences in SW ;-)

What about the original Fox logo?

;)

Anyway, I agree that wrong colors would be much better than DVNR or crushed blacks/whites, such as plagues the Blu-rays.

I'm trying to think about what may reasonably need to be fixed even if the original negatives are used for a new release. At the very least, the lightsaber effects would need to be scanned from an IP, as the RMW lightsabers are heavily degraded. But since the degraded original elements were placed into the final cleanup, I don't think that Disney will notice this or the many other problems of degradation. If this is true, the 2011 Blu-ray will necessarily be superior than any 4K scan for certain elements, simply because the film has aged and deteriorated for seven years in the interim. If Disney is going to use any shot from the negatives no matter how damaged, I can see this being riddled with issues.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

I'm gonna throw this out there and say that my fingers are crossed that Disney has consulted Robert A. Harris on this restoration.  Remember that he offered to do a restoration on the original trilogy for free. On top of that, I believe he's pretty good about keeping mum on projects.

I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong, given that Reliance Media might be involved.  Either way, I think Disney will give us the best presentation possible and not just do a 4K DNR hack job.

Furthest from the bright center of the universe

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If we don't get the OOT, I'm sure that at least we'll get a version without the most hated changes. Disney has nothing to gain from shoving Hayden, Han shooting second, Jedi Rocks, Vader saying no, etc. down our throats and everything to gain from not doing so.

Author
Time

thedaner said:

I'm gonna throw this out there and say that my fingers are crossed that Disney has consulted Robert A. Harris on this restoration.  Remember that he offered to do a restoration on the original trilogy for free. On top of that, I believe he's pretty good about keeping mum on projects.

I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong, given that Reliance Media might be involved.  Either way, I think Disney will give us the best presentation possible and not just do a 4K DNR hack job.

It would be great if Disney really did hire Robert Harris do restore the Original Theatrical Unaltered Versions of The Star Wars Trilogy.

You really can't go wrong with a Film Restoration done by Robert Harris. He always does a brilliant job and I've always been extremely impressed with his work.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Cedric T Sealion said:

darklordoftech said:

Nick66 said:

Trust me, Star Trek fans are. All the time.

Give me one example of a Star Trek fan complaining about a Star Trek movie having matte lines.

I don't think they moan about matte lines, but they are certainly crying out for the extended versions of the Trek films to be released on blu-ray.

I'm the guy crying out just for decent-looking transfers of the versions they did give us. When I heard it was only gonna be the theatrical cuts for the blu-ray debut I was actually thrilled.

Then I saw the screenshots.

Wrath of Khan looks great thanks to the restoration they gave it, but the other five are like the blu-ray equivalent of the GOUT for me.

That's the big problem when it comes to stuff like this: ignorance on the part of the consumer. They assume that because they're watching a blu-ray it looks perfect and exactly as it should. With new release titles they're almost always correct (although even that has exceptions. See: the blu-ray of the finished-on-film Transcendence), but with catalogue titles it's a very mixed bag. There was a long stretch of time when my attitude towards the quality of older films on blu-ray was "if it's not one thing it's another." In other words, it was rare that we got a catalog release that completely lived up to the potential of the format.

But the issues with most other big catalogue titles pale in comparison to the Trek movie bd's.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

thedaner said:

I hope that Robert A Harris is overseeing this. A project like this, where there are so many ways to **** it up, needs someone like him in charge.

Author
Time

I second (third? fourth?) all of the Robert A. Harris love. If there's one person who would know the best way to go about restoring these films, it's him.

Author
Time

peter_pan said:

So has this news been debunked officially, or are we still waiting with baited breath?

The latter.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

The fact that it hasn't been debunked or even addressed gives me some hope; Lucas made clear that we were never going to get a satisfying release of the originals again the second the SE was released, but Disney's Lucasfilm hasn't said either way. There's also the possibility that they won't officially debunk anything until after Ep. VII so they don't get any bad press before the new movie. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

This thread is the same as the other thread in the same way that 15 has nothing to do with 16.

Author
Time

RMW's 4k scan makes me very curious. When did it start? What do/did they plan to use it for?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

We literally know nothing about it, and it's shrouded with mystery, which is what gives me hope. I've emailed RMW and they've not even responded with so much as a, "that project was cancelled," reply. Not that they'd spend time talking to someone like me, but the fact that there's been quite a bit of media buzz about the rumors and about Harmy's reconstruction of the OUT, and not even so much as an acknowledgement from Lucasfilm or RMW? Also, the fact that they removed it from their site is particularly interesting, and we can guess from their videos that they've at least restored Star Wars and part of Empire so I doubt it's a cancelled project. No clips from Jedi though, so that could imply that it's a more recent project. Very curious...

The Person in Question

Author
Time

One thing that I'm extremely happy about is that the wretched blue tint is gone. That blue tint and thise crushed blacks truly ruin the movies for me.

Author
Time

I agree, and also (we can't know about this for sure) but hopefully that means the weird purple tint when they're on the death star is gone too. At the very least, the black escape pod door is back to blue; there was a picture of it in RMW's video.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

I agree, and also (we can't know about this for sure) but hopefully that means the weird purple tint when they're on the death star is gone too. At the very least, the black escape pod door is back to blue; there was a picture of it in RMW's video.

I'd bet that the Death Star purple tint was how the blue tint looked when applied to the walls of the Death Star. I definitely hope that it's gone.

Author
Time

peter_pan said:

What if we start a new petition stating we will boycott VII unless the original trilogy is released?
I sincerely doubt that losing a couple million dollars will matter when this movie will probably make a billion worldwide.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

peter_pan said:

What if we start a new petition stating we will boycott VII unless the original trilogy is released?

I sincerely doubt that losing a couple million dollars will matter when this movie will probably make a billion worldwide.

Your right. I wish you weren't, but you are.

I am proud to say I remember the 80’s!

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-1-TPM-game-sounds-files/id/15201/page/1

Currently working on: Red Dwarf Night 10th Anniversary V2.
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Red-Dwarf-Night-10th-Anniversary/id/18056#781639

Red Dwarf Night 10th Anniversary

Author
Time

With Disney, they'll either release them or they won't. The petition to Lucas made sense because he was personally refusing to release the films and we thought that maybe it would make him realize that a lot of people care about the original versions. Now, it boils down to, "will we make money by releasing this?" as well as, "will releasing the OT create good will and build hype for our movies?" along with a few other business decisions. The new management isn't going to say, "will releasing the OT go against the original vision of the films?" they're going to make their decisions based on business, not some vague and nondescript "true vision", and also not based on a petition or boycott. They already know what we want, and there's no way an OUT release wouldn't make money, so I'd be surprised if it isn't released in the lead-up to Ep. VII; maybe it will be announced at celebration (I think the first SW blu ray was announced at a convention). 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

peter_pan said:

doubleofive said:

peter_pan said:

Yes, it's his right.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

peter_pan said:

doubleofive said:

peter_pan said:

Yes, it's his right.

JEDIT: This is not my fault and I hope it happens more!