logo Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 32

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

What if we just...didn't post in the thread until there was more to say about the topic?

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Man, this thread is about everything and nothing.

JEDIT: ^WRONG PICTURE!

Author
Time

I wonder if this restoration will come out on Blu-ray

J

Author
Time

Why did they do that "I know" gif with '04 SE footage?  Redo it with Harmy or GOUT footage, I say!

Author
Time

Here's something I've been a bit confused about when it comes to this restoration, and I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure, but did Fox restore the entire negative along with all the original elements and completely restore that BEFORE Lucas took a dump on it and made the SE? Or did they plan out the whole SE thing and only restore the parts that George wanted them to and then leave the other parts to rot? I don't think George would've destroyed the original elements or the cut pieces of film that were replaced in the SE because he apparently hung on to everything (that's why the original elements were still around for the SE)

Author
Time

gizzy2000 said:

did they plan out the whole SE thing and only restore the parts that George wanted them to and then leave the other parts to rot? 

Dennis Muren said they kept adding shots as it went on and the whole thing snowballed into the shitshow it became, so I would assume everything got cleaned first. Because you want to have a nice pristine restored shot so you can stick a cartoon dinosaur in it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Baronlando said:

gizzy2000 said:

did they plan out the whole SE thing and only restore the parts that George wanted them to and then leave the other parts to rot? 

Dennis Muren said they kept adding shots as it went on and the whole thing snowballed into the shitshow it became, so I would assume everything got cleaned first. Because you want to have a nice pristine restored shot so you can stick a cartoon dinosaur in it.

Interesting, I'd never heard that before. It doesn't surprise me since the SE's have always just come across as Lucas being obsessive and just changing things for the sake of changing things, and then claiming it was something he'd planned for decades. 

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask, do we know if they cut the parts that were going to be altered and put them in storage, or did they actually destroy the original film by adding the SE changes directly to the film in the negative (is that possible?)

Author
Time

It's not possible to alter a frame of developed negative. To alter a scene on a negative, the original frames need to be cut out and replaced with frames of new footage.

Author
Time

Klasodeth said:

It's not possible to alter a frame of developed negative. To alter a scene on a negative, the original frames need to be cut out and replaced with frames of new footage.

I know what you mean but 'Battleship Potemkin' kinda did that.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

Klasodeth said:

So this would mean that (assuming Fox restored all of the OUT before the SE was created) the original negatives, or at least the unaltered parts that were cut, aren't in as bad of shape as Lucas claimed

Author
Time

Don't forget that any cuts and readditions to the negative means that the adjoining frames are destroyed in the process.  So, even if entire scenes are in storage somewhere unaltered, we still can't escape the fact that the film as a whole has irrevocably lost a great number of frames that were present on the original cut.  If anyone does a restoration of the OOT and thinks to fix that, they would have to find those frames from sources other than the o-neg (so, interpositives or the like), I'm sure they can make it look acceptable, if they realize what's missing.

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

Don't forget that any cuts and readditions to the negative means that the adjoining frames are destroyed in the process.  So, even if entire scenes are in storage somewhere unaltered, we still can't escape the fact that the film as a whole has irrevocably lost a great number of frames that were present on the original cut.  If anyone does a restoration of the OOT and thinks to fix that, they would have to find those frames from sources other than the o-neg (so, interpositives or the like), I'm sure they can make it look acceptable, if they realize what's missing.

Yes that is unfortunate. I can't believe Lucas actually chopped up the original negative. I still have a tiny shred of hope that he was lying but I'm sure he is crazy enough to actually tear apart the negative.

Author
Time

IIRC, Zombie mentioned somewhere (either on savestarwars or secrethistoryofstarwars) that the negatives were assembled in an A-B fashion. That is, over/under/over/under and so forth. This allowed the SE team to remove and replace the relevant pieces of negative without destroying any frames. 

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

IIRC, Zombie mentioned somewhere (either on savestarwars or secrethistoryofstarwars) that the negatives were assembled in an A-B fashion. That is, over/under/over/under and so forth. This allowed the SE team to remove and replace the relevant pieces of negative without destroying any frames. 

well that certainly is a relief, I hope that's true. I haven't heard that before but I've always been skeptical of Lucas being willing to permanently sacrifice frames.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Really? I mean, he permanently sacrificed like a third of all the frames in the movie... ;-)

But having re-cut the SE back to the original cut, I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that, but for a few exceptions, there are no frames missing on the ends of shots neighboring with SE additions.

Author
Time

That's it, we're going to need to hire an official fact checker, these assumptions are getting out of hand.

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

That's it, we're going to need to hire an official fact checker, these assumptions are getting out of hand.

Now there are two of them?

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

it's hard not to be excited about even the slightest rumor but I wish they would've at least gone into a bit more detail about their sources. Maybe the sources wanted to remain anonymous which is also understandable.

Author
Time

gizzy2000 said:

it's hard not to be excited about even the slightest rumor but I wish they would've at least gone into a bit more detail about their sources. Maybe the sources wanted to remain anonymous which is also understandable.

Is comicbook.com even reliable?

Author
Time

C'mon God-damit theres GOT to be some truth behind these rumours!!!!

......sorry

well at least its not just us talking (sometimes at length) about the OUT

Disney knows that the public want it.....not just the fans

J

Author
Time
 (Edited)

digitalfreaknyc said:

Is comicbook.com even reliable?

And if so, is the release going to be done right?