logo Sign In

1984 A New Hope Project (* unfinished project *)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So I recently found a VHS of the CBS airing of Star Wars A New Hope and being a video editor I somewhat took this as a person project, but also am going to take it much further.  I do believe from what I have read this is very close to the theatrical version except that is is in 4:3 aspect ratio.

My project:

Convert from VHS to Digital to 1080i HD to 3D and finally burn to a blu-ray.

Yep, all that, hopefully when I am finished I will have a beautiful version of this and was wondering if anyone wanted a copy of this when finished?  It will take quite awhile, but beinga  student spring break is around the corner and I’m ready for a challenge.

If anyone wants this I will be putting up a web page for donations because it will cost quite a lot to get everything edited and converted with all the software.

Also IF I can make sure this is legal enough I will allow all those that have donated to send a blank blu-ray disk and I will copy it onto it.

The contents will include:

1984 Star Wars a New Hope in both 1080i and 1080i 3D (if you happen to have one of those fancy new TVs)

Interviews from Star Wars a New Hope 1997 Special Edition Version

Anything else you guys would want on it?  I want to just put together an ultimate version for everyone.

Thanks

Author
Time

kamyio said:

If anyone wants this I will be putting up a web page for donations because it will cost quite a lot to get everything edited and converted with all the software.

Also IF I can make sure this is legal enough I will allow all those that have donated to send a blank blu-ray disk and I will copy it onto it. 

Ooh boy, I might be wrong but this sounds like a problem.  Forget legal - I don't think it even meets the forum rules.

If you're only distributing to people who donate, how is that any different than selling?  You're allowed to take donations to help with the project, but I don't think you can limit distribution.

Beyond that, if you really do need donations (and don't tie it to distribution), you might want to give a little more information.  What exactly is involved and how much do you expect it to cost?

Also, how good will the quality be, coming from a VHS source?  Is there a point in making this HD?

Author
Time

Ahh ya, that was my fault.  So lets get this clear anyone who sends me a blank blu-ray I will copy onto this project.  But donations are welcome :]

I'm going to need around $200, most I probably will front up by myself.  Thats just for the hardware and software.

The labor that will go into it though is going to be quite a bit, to get it 3D will be the most.  

The quality is actually very crisp when I watched it again last night all the way through.  As well when going to 1080i it will not exactly stretch it, but I'll going through making things sharper and perfect for the HDTV.  The only true challenge is getting a perfect up scaled 16:9.  Which of course wont be terribly hard, but enough to making sure it looks nice.  

I'll be working with top notch programs a.k.a Final Cut Studio Pro 7 and Toast 10.  

I guess the true point is preserving this, its very unedited, a lot of the light sabers if you slow down the frames and wait for the right timing you still see the actual sticks they used.  Its the true Star Wars.

Other thoughts?

Author
Time

I won't send you a dime or a blank disc, but I'd like to see it. ;)

Good luck

Author
Time

Scaling from VHS to 1080i seems a little pointless.

Author
Time

To be honest i wouldn't recommend spending that amount of money on a project to convert a VHS source to 1080i Blu-Ray. VHS conatins only 250 (?) vertical lines resolution. That is approx half the resolution of the 2006 theatrical bonus discs. And even the best upscaling software just can't produce a decent looking 1080 i/p video even from the retail source. You'd be better off working to DVD standards and letting your blu-ray player/ TV do the upscaling. You say that it's a 4:3 image. Is that 4:3 widescreen letterboxed or 4:3 cropped pan & scan? And producing a 3D version using a VHS source wouldn't give good results. There is the problem of the lack of detail and 3D works best using a progressive format as interlacing can cause problems with 3D.

You say that the image is crisp and going to 1080i will make the image sharper, well that's not true unless you use heavy sharpening filters, which i wouldn't recommend. Even the best upscaling software can't produce extra detail at HD when the source is lacking that detail in the first place.

And asking or even mentioning donations in your first ever post here won't go down too well, especially when you have nothing at all to show.

If i were you i would do some tests first on a short video clip off your VHS so you can see what the final output will look like. I'm afraid though that you will be very disappointed.

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
 (Edited)

kamyio said:

I'm going to need around $200, most I probably will front up by myself.  Thats just for the hardware and software.

I'm still unclear on what this money is for.  What hardware and software are you talking about?

You're not a Nigerian Prince by any chance, are you?

Author
Time

I opened this up expecting some sort of Orwell-flavored edit of SW. I am disappointed. Maybe I'll do a 1984 edit of SW, but I'll need donations for equipment I'll be buying myself.

Want to book yourself or a guest on THE VFP Show? PM me!

Author
Time

Here's Candice Orwell (not sure what she tastes like but going by the outer cover it may be carrot).

Candice

Author
Time

thanks everyone for replying, I know I'm new to these forums and don't know the rules that well so I apologize for sounding a bit preemptive in a sense.  

So basically you guys wont hear from me until I get my first clip up, till then.

-Kamyio

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wait, don't go yet!  I still don't understand what you need the money for.  Please explain further.

Yes, a clip is a good idea, but we also need to know what the money is going to be used for.

Author
Time

Donations would go back into the amount of the VHS to digital converter and and then a blu ray burner.  

I'm searching for cheaper alternatives as all the software I have been able to find as torrents.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

kamyio said:

Donations would go back into the amount of the VHS to digital converter and and then a blu ray burner.  

I'm searching for cheaper alternatives as all the software I have been able to find as torrents.

You can't possibly be asking people to help buy you a blu-ray burner or software.  Further, are you trying to download retail software?  That's frowned on too.  Maybe I misunderstood that part?

Look, if you were wanting donations to help you build a wampa replica for recreating a scene from Empire Strikes Back (for instance), I could understand this.  But you're asking for money because you can't afford widely available hardware and software?

Maybe you'll find a few people here to help you out, but I doubt it.

Author
Time

No, not retail software, things like converting to 3D scripts etc.  

I understand your point of view, thats why I had said I was going to pay for these things upfront so I can get it done and that then people will see its real rather than you guys thinking I'm just trying to rip you off.  

Most likely I'll payout for the products I need upfront and then anyone that wants to have this just send me a blu-ray and that donations on the side are always welcome.  I don't want anyone from this community to think I'm trying to rip you guys off.  Honestly I love star wars and also love the new 3D generation and wanted a project so this came together and while doing so I found the VHS and then this community and I thought perfect!  Honestly I don't want any bad feelings with this so in a few days I expect to have a clip up just showing what exactly I'm trying to do and hopefully many more will understand what I mean.

Thanks

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Oh, I see.  In that case I'll just wish you good luck then (and a belated welcome to the forums).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

adywan said:

VHS conatins only 250 (?) vertical lines resolution.

I might have to change my name to Captain Nitpick...

The one thing VHS does have is full vertical (480i in this case) resolution, because each line is recorded "separately". It doesn't, really, have a horizontal resolution that you can measure in pixels/columns. If you re-record VHS several times, horizontal resolution will suffer but the horizontal lines themselves (vertical resolution) will remain distinct.

No, not retail software, things like converting to 3D scripts etc.

If you're talking about the kind of clips I've seen on YouTube of movies converted to "3D" with scripts, as far as I can tell these really don't work. You may as well just warp the image randomly and it'd be just as "3D".

DE

Author
Time

No sir, this isn't the normal red and blue 3D, trust me I've watched those and even the attempts on making stereoscopic (Avatar 3D like) have been embarrassing, no I'm using a multitude of different scripts and editors that allow me to choose the objects and pieces for 3D as well as the depth at which the pieces are at.  

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What sort of 3D are we talking about here Anaglyphic?

I would love to believe there was some kind of magic batch software process for that but I can't see how it would work.

Ady's 3D Jabba Easter egg was very labour intensive and hands on but with all respect to him it's still rather flat in places even with all that work.

As he said you'd really need the best source materials to work from to get the best effect (I'm not quite getting what you are hoping to get from VHS).

While we are talking 3D on Saturday last, I went to a marvelous party, with Kiki and Johnny and Paul (sorry got a bit Noel Coward there).

It was a monochrome theme party with black and white food and black and white clothes and black and white balloons.

There was a video projector (which was projecting a Mae West film) and someone had the idea of holding up a couple of balloons and the effects were incredible (concave and convex depending on if you looked into the balloon or at the surface.

Now if someone were to make translucent forms and project onto them and film the result from two angles and composite the filmed elements you could create an interesting 3D image from a 2D source but it would still be hard work and wouldn't look like the original film in 3D but it would make for an interesting work of cinema based Anaglyphic art.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The only other efforts I can remember requesting donations were the X0 and -1's 35mm project.  Both clearly could justify the expense - I even donated to the X0. But neither has produced anything. Meanwhile, to my knowledge Adywan has never asked for donations. It cost a few hundred bucks (between me and Jaxxon) to make the Puggo Edition and Grande (spent on hardware, software, and some bulky postage for the 16mm reels).  I never asked for a dime - and then sent out dozens of DVD copies for free. I've had at least 25 offers from people wanting to send me money, and I have always refused. My payment came in the form of trades - people who in turn sent me copies of their hard work. So I agree with some of the other posters who have expressed their opinion that your cost/donation model is not entirely in the spirit of the forum as it has been operating so far. That said, your project is interesting.

"Close the blast doors!"
Puggo’s website | Rescuing Star Wars

Author
Time

kamyio said:

No sir, this isn't the normal red and blue 3D, trust me I've watched those and even the attempts on making stereoscopic (Avatar 3D like) have been embarrassing, no I'm using a multitude of different scripts and editors that allow me to choose the objects and pieces for 3D as well as the depth at which the pieces are at.  <span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal; font-size: 17px; border-collapse: collapse; white-space: pre; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;"> </span>

Either way, it seems like an awful waste of time to transform a decades-old VHS copy of an 4:3 NTSC broadcast into 3D...

DE

Author
Time

If you get this to work I would be fascinated to know how you did it but at the moment I still can't get my head around why?

Why a 1984 VHS tape?

Make it make sense to me.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

Why a 1984 VHS tape?

Make it make sense to me.

Send me $25 US and I will make sense of it for you, Bingo.